two black monkeys

A debate had started on the topic of whether animals should hold some rights. Animals are classified and things and not persons. A thing is something owned by a human. So animals depend on humans when they are taken. A group has advocated for some animals to get legal persons rights especially animals like chimpanzees, elephants, and bears. They argue that they have capacities that include self-awareness, autonomy, language, culture, and are able to plan their future. So they believe classifying them as things don’t seem right.

After reading and watching more able to the mission of the Nonhuman Rights Project, I’ve realized that the rights they are fighting for these animals are not rights solely given to humans. Ships, corporations, and rivers have these rights. They are right to protect themselves. they believe these chips, elephants, and bears have the capacity to understand what is going on. However, the opposing side fears that these rights will extend to animals they own like chickens, pigs, and horses. So many people are heavily divided on the topic.

Do you think these animals should be given these rights?

Help on Youth Voices
0
()

Connect with