In the article, “Ancient Canoe Found in Wisconsin”, (McGraw Hill) I learned that a recreational scuba diver in southern Wisconsin’s Lake Mendota made an interesting discovery. She had found a wooden dugout canoe that is thought to be 1,200 years old. The canoe is made out of basswood or walnut which makes the canoe really fragile. It is said to be created by Effigy Mound Builders who are ancestors of the Ho-Chunk Nation. It will be preserved for about two years and then it will make its way into a museum by the Wisconsin Historical Society. 

I think that this is an amazing discovery since it is something that is very old or maybe can be very ancient. It’s amazing how going on a scuba diving trip you find something that is 1,200 years old. I wonder if Temora Thomson received anything for her discovery or if she’s just happy with discovering something everybody will then be able to see in museums. It’s crazy how you see something that looked like a log but turned out to be something that is worth a lot. 

Do you think there are more old things under our oceans or any type of bodies of water?

0
()