grey shark in blue water

This article gives a good example of why people are fishing for sharks and why it’s dangerous. Shark finning, a pretty common practice of catching a shark, cutting off its fin for profit, and discarding the rest of the body, usually by throwing it back into the ocean. It’s really common with other cultures, especially in China, and some fishermen can even make up to $500 a pound from the shark fin. There are many downsides though. Nearly 100 million sharks are killed every year, and shark finning is a great contributor to that. Sharks don’t reproduce quickly, so they’re in grave danger. Losing all the sharks is also affecting the other animals in the ocean, it throws off the ecosystem. Countries are starting to have stricter regulations on fishing, so we are seeing a little bit of progress. 

Here is a link to the article with my annotations

https://nowcomment.com/documents/308175

0
()