Shakespeare is still shown and learned throughout schools because its language could help open up minds. When you think about Shakespeare’s words and their meanings behind them, you could connect words through his plays. They are shown to improve your speed in thinking faster and learning more vocabulary. Another reason why Shakespeare is still taught today is because of how it relates to modern life. Most of his plays are about race, sexuality, war, etc., which could still be shown today with people making fun of others through skin color, or where they were originally born, or if they were to be a boy or girl and be treated differently. I feel that what has happened in the past still happens now, and I think Shakespeare wanted to show the truth through his plays rather than having it become fiction and made-up. It’s fascinating that Shakespeare’s language is still being used today, even if some of the words he created aren’t used anymore.

The Shakespeare play I am currently reading is Othello, and my reading strategies are pretty simple. I mostly read a translated version of the play online, since I personally would rather know the plot then learn the words. Once I do look at the script though, I close read and try to break down different meanings of what someone has said, to get a deeper meaning of what that person is trying to say or describe something or someone.

Truthfully, I’m not really confident with what Shakespeare is saying, since most of the words are hard to connect to modern English. It takes time to read any play written by Shakespeare, but I think others who were to read Othello would learn more and maybe use some of its ancient language that some might not use anymore.

0
()