These are my close readings from Othello by William Shakespeare.

Quote: “No! To be once in doubt when I once to be resolved. Exchange me for a goat, when I shall turn the business of my soul” (ACT 3, Scene 3, 203 – 205)

Analysis: Othello is falling into Iago’s lies with him screaming “NO!” this shows he is in disbelief of what he’s said. Othello doesn’t wanna doubt because if he does he will feel uncertain. If he shows signs of weakness and giving up, Iago will see that and take advantage of him. A goat represents an animal, these type of animals live on a farm and eat grass. In this case, Iago, is the farmer and Othello is the goat because Iago is feeding him lies.

Quote: “No more of that. I pray you, in your letters, When you shall these unlucky deeds relate, Speak of me as I am. Nothing extenuate, Nor set down aught in malice. Then must you speak. Of one that loved not wisely, but too well. Of one not easily jealous, but being wrought, Perplexed in the extreme. Of one whose hand, Like the base Indian, threw a pearl away. Richer than all his tribe. Of one whose subdued eyes, Albeit unused to the melting mood, Drop tears as fast as the Arabian trees” (388-395, Act 5 – Scene 2)

Analysis: Othello realized his mistake after killing Desdemona and now feels remorse. In this quote he explains how he wants no empathy. The base indian is Othello and the pearl is Desdemona. Indias were described as savages, Othello has accepted that he is one now. A pearl is something that can be described as rare, fine, and valuable. With this comparison, this basically is telling us othello murdered the most valuable aspect of his life.

Quote: “Your heart is burst, you have lost half your soul; Even now, now, very now, and old black ram is tupping your white ewe”  (Act I.I.93-95)

Analysis: In this, they are talking about Othello and Desdemona being together and how this made Brabantio go crazy and lose his mind because she is married to a black person who he hates. Othello gets called a ram which is a animal and comparing Desdemona as a white ewe. A ewe being a sheep. White is something pure and godlike and sheep are not very strong. So the ram is basically destroying the sheep. In this case in a sexual manner othello is with desdemona.

Quote:  “Tis he. O brave Iago, honest and just that hast noble sense of thy friends wrong! Thou teachest me. Minion, your dear lies dead.” (Act 5, Scene 1, 33-35)

Analysis:  In this scene othello is basically a minion believing Iago’s lies and wanting to learn more from him. A minion could be counted as a slave and that’s how Iago has Othello at this point. A slave that bows down to his lies and respects him for what he is. He believes Iago is the most trustworthy person alive and none of his other friends are in the same level or nobility as Iago.

0
()