Emma Donoghue’s intriguing book, Room is narreated by the main character Jack, who is only 5.  This book is a powerful story of a mother and son whose love lets them survive the impossible. Emma Donoghue really embraced the young character of Jack in her writing. Jack and his Ma live in what they call “Room”. Room is all Jack knows, he was born and grew up only knowing Room. Room is home to Jack but to Ma it’s where she has been imprisoned by Old Nick for 7 years. Ma has tried to make the best life for Jack but knows that’s not enough. She wants Jack to grow up like a normal kid. 

Emma Donoghue gave an interview to The Guardian, in which she said that her story was inspired by the true story of Elisabeth Fritzl. Elisabeth Fritzl is a woman who was held captive by her father, Josef Fritzl, for 24 years. In the book we go on a journey while Ma is coming up with a bold escape plan. This plan relies on Jack, her young son and his bravery. 

For more background information I found Emma Donoghue’s website talking about all her books. For each of her books she includes a personal note, for Room she says “Room was inspired by having kids; the locked room is a metaphor for the claustrophobic, tender bond of parenthood. I borrowed observations, jokes, kid grammar and whole dialogues from our son Finn, who was five while I was writing it”. Hearing the background of the book can help us as readers understand and feel more connected to the story. 

This whole story was told from 5 year old Jack, Donoghue did a great job connecting her readers to the young boy. Readers get the full perspective of how Jack feels during the book and can see the confusion he has when Ma tells him about the outside world. Room is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to go through a journey from one world to another. 

5 1 vote
January 21, 2022 9:33 pm

I really like how you go over this book. It gives a great explanation on the overall idea of it while not being too much. This book is really interesting and I like the way you describe it.

December 11, 2021 4:51 am

Grace, I love how you explained the book. I’ve read and seen the movie and you hit the main idea. It is so interesting how Emma Donoghue writes the book from the perspective of 5-year-old Jack. I recommend watching the movie as it gives more detail and feeling to what they both experienced.https://youtu.be/E_Ci-pAL4eE is a link to watch the trailer of the movie if you are interested! I feel that while reading it I imagined something completely different than what is shown in the movie. Thank you for the detailed insight on the book it was very helpful to jog my memory on the book. Your review is written very well and easy to follow. I hope to read more of your posts in the future.

Last edited 6 months ago by Karen
Zoe
December 10, 2021 7:32 pm

I read this book last year and it was so interesting! I feel like the author did really well with portraying the mind of a five year old. I haven’t seen the whole movie, but I have seen a few clips. I recommend watching it since the main actress, Brie Larson, won an Oscar for her performance in it!

December 10, 2021 5:45 pm

This book review gave the main concepts of the story and provided extra insight into the deeper meaning behind the themes introduced. I liked how you provided more information from the website of the author and established a full perspective of the writing. I hope to read more from you in the future.

December 10, 2021 5:44 pm

I love how you described this book! It is interesting that it was narrated from the perspective of a 5 year old. It would definitely be interesting to read this one. It reminds me of a book I read a while ago from the perspective of a younger kid. This was an awesome review!

December 10, 2021 5:42 pm

This is a good post. I like how you added links so that people who read the article could explore more about the author. There are some good points included in your writing. Overall good writing.

6
0
()