In the article, “Which is a better alternative: Online School vs. Traditional School?” I learned about the pros and cons that come with online school and which alternative can be better for certain students. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic schools and other major facilities have been forced to close down and people are encouraged to be sheltered in place. With this, students and teachers have switched over to home-based learning. Although home-based learning may be a better alternative for some students, not everyone is able to learn from home without guidance and help from teachers. Some students find it more difficult because they don’t have easy access to tutoring or physical representations of how to do their assignments.

I believe that home based learning is not for everyone. As of March 17th my school has also switched over to home based learning and this makes it difficult for me to not only learn but also get my work done. I enjoyed going to school because I saw it as a way to take my mind off of things and learn. I was also able to ask questions and ask for help, although home based learning is not a terrible idea, and good for those who can’t attend school. Being a procrastinator, I also have a hard time managing my time and actually getting my assignments done and turned in. I also think that it’s overwhelming for students to receive a significant amount of work all at once.

Which do you like best, home based learning or traditional school?

Image: “online learning” by giulia.forsythe on 2015-10-09 13:15:10

Raj
Raj
January 6, 2021 7:35 pm

Hi April,
I totally agree with your argument, as many others have, of online school not being for everyone. I believe that online schooling most negatively impacts students with special needs. Additionally, many regular students and staff were initially very disorganized. By the next academic year, most schools made an effective online plan for their students, which was good. Personally, I like in-person school sheerly because of social interactions with other students and teachers. Doing science classes that require lab understanding online is a massive pain. Online school is also very secluded, making it very compromising for those who need social interaction to maintain their mental wellbeing. Overall, most everyone will have to do online school to stay safe from the coronavirus. After the vaccine is effectively rolled out, many of us students get go back to in-person schooling!

Ashley
September 9, 2020 12:26 am

Dear April,
I am contentful with your response to “ Which is a better alternative: Online school vs. Traditional school” because I agree that there are pros and cons to these two alternatives. However online school could be a good option for certain students.
One sentence that stood out to me is “Although home-based learning may be a better alternative for some students, not everyone is able to learn from home without guidance and help from teachers.” I think this is true because I personally think that online schooling a good thing for me in a way but however its better having traditional schooling. Online schooling is good for me because I’m very anti social so now that were online I’m anxiety free and stress free in a way. Although traditional schooling is better because you get to actually get help from your teachers in person than through online.
Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I find these topics interesting. What will bring me back is the topics that relate to me in a way or I could make connections with.
Ashley Renteria

August 31, 2020 5:03 am

Hey April, I agree that home based learning really isn’t for everyone. I see it as like people wanna stay home to stay in bed and be lazy. Personally I hate being lazy, I rather be at school socializing and walking around to get to my classes. When asking questions to teachers is much easier while in person they can notice you but on zoom meetings they tend to ignore you. A lot people are camera shy and like it sucks but it is what it is. We are all hoping things get back to normal so we can all go back to school together. Thank you for your thoughts about this and also sharing it, Thank you.

August 27, 2020 5:05 am

Hi April, I completely agree with you that home based learning may not be for everyone. You are right, some people are comfortable with being able to do work independently, while others may need quite a bit more help. As a student, it is very hard to engage in zoom meetings, when it just feels so awkward at times. Where in a classroom, it may be much easier because of the fact that you have your teachers and classmates right in front of you. Now, you said that you prefer traditional learning rather than online learning. I believe that if we all continue to work hard, we will get more and more comfortable with this weird way of learning. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on online learning vs traditional learning.

Mendy
Mendy
August 26, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi, thanks for creating such a great discussion point to know and judge what is better online schooling or traditional schooling. Not having any negativity for traditional schooling, I believe online schooling is getting more wings throughout the world these days. I know this may be the reason for the pandemic. But what if we get used to it, our children will start getting self-dependent. You as parents will start learning new things with new technology.

https://menachemmoscovitz.wordpress.com/2020/06/10/5-easy-ways-to-use-technology-in-the-classroom/

May 19, 2020 12:08 am

Hi April, during this pandemic, so many things have changed. And school has been one of the biggest changes that have occurred. School is completely different and many people agree that it is harder than actual school. Everyone was confused at first and no one knew what to do including the teachers. Home- based school settings are not for everyone like you said. It is something hard to get used to when you have gone to real school for the past 12-13 years of your life.

May 11, 2020 6:32 pm

Hey April,
I totally agree, school has been pretty hard this quarter. I can barely get myself to do work and I’m glad that I’m not the only one who feels this way. School is a lot better when you have all the fun social stuff that comes with it too instead of just learning. I kind of lost all my motivation, so yes. Online school is the solution for now but sometime we’ll have to resume back to normal.

April 4, 2020 4:54 am

Hey April,
I really understand your feeling quite well, since I am strugglig the same way. I did a post on if online schooling is good or bad and I pretty much had the same stance you have right now. One of the articles I used was (https://homeschoolbase.com/pros-and-cons-online-high-school/) I think it might interest you since it does speak about certain facts that I at least didn’t think about all that much.
Sincerely, Paula

April 4, 2020 4:48 am

Hi,

I agree with your ideas and also think that they both have some advantages and disadvantages.Nevertheless,personally I prefer going to school and being more social. On the other hand, I think online education is the best choice to do in these cases where we are not able to go to school.

You can also look at this website(https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-learning/blogs/learning-innovation/teaching-and-learning-after-covid-19)

Maggie
April 3, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi April!
I loved hearing your take on the current issues and how COVID-19 is affecting education! Here is an article you might find interesting! https://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/2020/03/educator-voice-six-educators-share-their-take-on-the-coronavirus/
Stay Safe!
-Maggie

Eggert
April 3, 2020 9:58 pm

I gotta say I prefer real school, it gives me something to do, all my friends are there and I find it easier to focus

April 3, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi, I agree with you.
Online schooling might get teachers in confusion at the very beginning. It make us to learn at home during pandemic become possible. But it also has it’s short coming. The student at home need to have a very high self-motivation. But most people don’t have it. So online schooling still can’t replace the tradition one.
Here is a link that might help you:
https://www.k12.com/utah-online-schools.html

April 2, 2020 5:51 am

Hi, I completely agree with your argument. I believe that it is hard to manage your time at home when you are not used to it and on top of that have much more assignments to complete. I also feel as though staying at home being isolated makes it hard to learn, because you do not have your classmates and teachers to help. That being said there is also very little social interactions, which is hard to live without frequently talking to people face to face. I found an article that talks about how kids gain social skills while doing online school.

https://www.asuprepdigital.org/students-interact-gain-social-skills-online-classrooms/

13
0
()