soldiers waving flag in battlefield

On September 8, 2021, the statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee was removed from Richmond, Virginia. The removal of the statue was called on June 2020 after what occurred to George Floyd. There were already some statues that were removed in Richmond before (Confederate Statue Removed from Virginia Capital, McGraw Hill).

If the death of George Floyd never occurred those statues would continue to be standing but why is it that no one thinks about it until a similar event occurs. It’s important to consider the impact that an event can have on the world. The history of this country isn’t the best and people should acknowledge it. We’re given only one side of the story but we’re taught to hear from both so why are we always celebrating/rememebering those who did horrible things to the country. Removing these confederate statues can cause an outburst but people need to understand the damage that the past has on others.

What are your opinions on the removals of confederate statues?

0
()