22-year old Mahsa Amini

In the article, Nothing to Lose (Upfront, Smith, 2022), I learned that young Iranians are beginning to become irritated and started protesting over the restrictions they have on religion and their economic difficulties.

It all began when Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old woman, was found dead only three days after she was sent to a re-education center where she was sent by the mortality police for being dressed “inappropriately”. Smith writes that being dressed “improperly” in a conservative Islamic country could be as simple and harmless as the tiniest strand of hair being visible. Amini’s death was just the icing on the cake to start the greatest anger and defiance that the country has seen.

Many Iranians believe that this amount of power is only held by religious leaders who neglect changes, which is why many are beginning to test limits and begin demanding freedoms. Iranians are furious about all the social restrictions, political restraints, the bad economy, etc.

Do you believe their protests are just making a bad situation worse or can they actually spark change?

0
()