man standing on road infront of high-rise buildi

Recently, I read Ready Player 1 by Ernest Cline.  I really enjoyed this book. I liked how it talked about how people spend to much time on screens. I also like how it talked about how you don’t really know what the people you talk to online are like in real life.

The protagonist is Wade. His story is set in the stacks, specifically his bunker where he visits the Oasis. The significance of the location is that It is a really crappy place so everyone spends all their time online. The significance of the setting shifting from the stack to his new nicer apartment in colorado is that Now Wade has better access to the oasis but he is in a nicer area. Even then he doesn’t go outside which is proof that he is addicted to the oasis.

Wade faces certain forces and pressures. The sixers are trying to kill him in order to have less competition for Halidays easter egg. He meets these forces and pressures by deciding to not give in and keep getting away from them. You can see this early in the book on page 156. He runs away from the sixers when the blow up the stacks and barely survives.

The tension rises when Dito, Wades friend is killed by the sixers. This might leave a reader feeling angry. Halidays easter egg is supposed to be a fair competition and you shouldn’t have to worry about being killed if you are trying to win it.

The book climaxes when Wade wins the game and gets the egg. The falling action ultimately resolves the conflict. The Sixers are sent to jail and Wade and Artemis fall in love.  It’s a person vs person type of conflict that’s driving this story. It is Wade vs the Sixers.