In our American history class we are researching contemporary issues and designing ways that people can take action and improve our community. Our group is focused on NewComers And Their Struggles In High School. This issue is important because in all schools around the U.S there are many newcomers entering High Schools. This issue is complicated because it is caused by them not knowing the language in the class which concludes with them not understanding and people bullying them since they can’t tell anybody . However, we need to address it because it has serious effects like NewComers dropping out and quitting to get an education. It also has the long term effect of causing them to not be able to qualify for a lot of jobs later on in life. To address this issue, we think that people should give the newcomers mentors so they can have 1 on 1 help.  Some people might oppose this idea because they probably won’t have the money to support their students like that, but it is a good solution because the they will be able to pass all their classes so they can make it far in life. To raise awareness about the struggles they go through, we have made a prototype that is a pictograph to address the problem and have a solution to help resolve it. Please give us any feedback you have about our prototype to help us improve it to help raise awareness about this important issue.  

Here is the link to our infographic: https://magic.piktochart.com/output/22145600-newcomers-and-education

kayden

Victor,

I think that is a wonderful topic to discuss. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, issues, and what you think we should do to resolve the problem. Many people want to come to America to get an education and learn about our culture, its hard for them to do that when we don’t give them enough stability to thrive in our nation. High school is a big step for any newcomer which the education we get in our early years is very important. Below is a video I found about how we can help immigrants, refugees etc. to be able to find and build that comfortable but stability they need but, to also help them adapt well to the environment they are surrounded by. Thank you, Victor, for you time to share these comments and address this issue.

thank you,

Kayden Milburn

https://www.yahoo.com/news/immigrant-refugee-students-preparing-future-024341732.html

Athsia
May 12, 2017 4:17 pm

This a good topic and I like how you explained what a newcomer was. Are you just talking about the newcomers only at Fremont? Do you think that only newcomers should get 1 on 1 help? Your solution is good but explain it to us more on how this could actually be changed.

Roberto
May 12, 2017 4:15 pm

I like how you explain all the negatives that incomers face but why not give good reasons why it is important to teach newcomers. Explain to those people reading your prototype why it is a good reason to give a mentor to each new comer. Make it more clear and organize the infographic and add more information as well.

Ruby
May 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I really like how you identified what a newcomer is and the problem that is alarming them. But you could have said that newcomers should also bond with students that are bilingual, that way our community could be more stronger and stand up for those who are bullies. Just saying…

MIguel
May 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Dear Victor,
I think this is a great topic to write about because everyone should get the same education as anyone else. I know a couple newcomers that don’t want to come to school no more because it’s hard for them to talk english. Like your group stated newcomers should have a chance to have conversations with their mentors 1 on 1. Thanks for adding your infographic.

Marlini
May 12, 2017 3:51 pm

I agree with the idea of getting newcomers 1 on 1 mentors that way they would be able to make it far in life. It is a very interesting topic especially when newcomers are a big part of Fremont high school. I think that your piktochart could be more detailed. but other than that I really like your topic.

Jerome
May 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Do you feel the newcomers are the only ones who need or resive 1 on 1 help?

Noor
May 12, 2017 3:46 pm

This is important to talk about because just like I see in fremont, newcomers join us everyday, and I think that providing them mentors to help them one-on-one will be a great help for them because that way they’ll learn the language faster, get the education they need, and won’t go through difficulties during high school or in their future life.

Christie
May 11, 2017 6:17 am

Good start, and you have a nice idea for the solution of providing mentors BUT you forgot to put that into your infographic! That should be included, and should be explained a bit more so viewers understand how mentors could help them deal with those challenges.

Munshi
Munshi
May 11, 2017 1:00 am

Dear Victor,
I think the topic about newcomers getting more awareness is very important especially in high schools because lots kids who come from other country get bullied and made fun off because they don’t know whats the normal which then has an effect on them whether its suicide or just them bullying others/

Will
May 11, 2017 12:27 am

I think that this is an interesting problem that doesn’t really get too much attention. I feel like there is an increased aversion to immigrants of all kinds these days, and sticking them into a high school with other teenagers before properly adjusting can be a pretty brutal transition. I like how you made a pictogram. Where did the data come from? I think you have a good idea here and it would be good to see this get more attention, especially in a critical time where the US will either make a choice to accept more immigrants or begin barring more out.

Young Whan Choi
Young Whan Choi
May 9, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi Fremont students, thanks for sharing your infographic. I think that you are pointing to an important problem. The infographic could be clearer. It’s not immediately clear why you have a cleaver, wall, and books. I believe that this is related to the trauma, language, and separation that you mention. Can you organize the words and images in such a way that it is more obvious what you are trying to say?

15
0
()