By Tejas Bharadwaj

Quantum Mechanics: We don’t really know much about it, but once we discover its full potential,
we can unlock the universe’s biggest secrets.
Now, what is Quantum Mechanics? Quantum Mechanics is the study of the subatomic particles
which make up our universe. Quantum Mechanics makes up everything in our universe, from
technologies like computers and phones, to the water we drink every day. All of these subatomic
particles work together to make what is called our universe. It makes up our technology, our
water, our food, even our whole planet itself! Scientists are using Quantum Mechanics to
discover the universe’s biggest secret. For example, time travel, or time reversal. These
subatomic particles are the ones that started the universe and they are the one that caused the
Big Bang. The way I got into Quantum Mechanics is that I was browsing youtube, when I
stumbled across a TED talk by Dominic Walliman about how Quantum Mechanics can change
the world and it makes up everything in our world. I want you to know about this because most
people don’t know what powers our universe. Most people don’t know how the phones and
devices we use every day work.

Now, I can talk about statistics all day, but to keep it rudimentary, I’ll just talk about the basics
and what makes up this branch of physics. Now, there are many scientists that have discovered
some of the secrets of quantum mechanics, like Albert Einstein, Max Planck, Werner
Heisenberg, Erwin Shrodinger, and many more. They have created all the fundamental
equations that physicists use today. For example, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, or
Planck’s law. We use these equations to figure out the universe’s secrets.
Let’s start to dive a little deeper into this type of physics. Let’s talk about the little particles, and
what we use to measure them. To measure a subatomic particle, we need to know about its
position and its momentum. Scientists use this principle to narrow down the places that this
particle could be. In the realm of quantum mechanics, these particles deny all laws of physics.
For example, they can be in different places at once. Now, because particles can be in two
places at once, it is harder to calculate all of their positions. When we know where one location
of a particle is, the less precise we know where the other locations are. This leads to it being
less precise and more of an estimate. People need to know these statistics to know how to work
with them. They can be more accessible and they can make the entire process of finding the
universe’s greatest secrets easier.

In the realm of quantum mechanics, there is a phenomenon called quantum tunneling. This is
when these subatomic particles can travel through barriers. Now, particles can also take the
form of a wave. These waves are in everything in our universe. For example, when you hit a
tennis ball, the waves get really vigorous because the momentum is really high. These waves
make the ball speed up and slow down. Quantum tunneling takes place in everything. One
example is sunlight. The way our sunlight is formed is when two particles collide, they push past
the boundaries of each other, creating a little gap. That gap is what is called sunlight. WIthout
this phenomenon taking place in our universe, we cannot physically function. Everything around
us needs sunlight. To grow food, to see, to get more vitamin D, etc. This is mind blowing
because it gives scientists an idea of what the quantum world is really like.
There was an experiment in 1935 by a scientist which went by the name of Erwin Schrodinger.
He decided to place a cat in a box with a device that had a 50% chance of killing the cat over
the next hour. Some people would think that the cat would be alive or dead. Quantum
Mechanics suggests that the instant that the box is opened, the cat is both dead and alive for a
very short amount of time. Schrödinger thought that this was untrue and that it was way too
complicated. So, he abandoned the theory and started to look at biology. But this experiment is
real! If we did not know about this, we would not understand how computers or IPhones or
anything in our universe would work.

Quantum Mechanics is extremely cool and it is the very thing that powers our universe. It is in
the things that we use every day! It is the foundation of our world, the blueprint of every small
thing and the intricate details of our existence. The potential of Quantum Mechanics to make
innovative discoveries is truly mind-blowing, and every new breakthrough brings us closer to
unlocking the secrets of the universe. Scientists have studied this for years and still have not
fully understood its true capabilities. This shows that Scientists have a long way to go to find out
what it is capable of. All in all, quantum mechanics can help people see what our universe and
our daily lives are made of and what it is truly capable of. Thank you.

September 21, 2023 5:22 am

Dear Tejas

I am fascinated by your post, “Quantum Mechanics: The Science of How Our Universe Works” because of how is it helping the world and how I am only now learning about it. Another reason is it makes me want to learn more about it and how it works.
One sentence you wrote that stood out to me is: “Quantum Mechanics is extremely cool and it is the very thing that powers our universe. It is in the things that we use every day! It is the foundation of our world, the blueprint of every small thing and the intricate details of our existence.”I believe this is important to me because it explains the breakthrough it has made for everyone and shows how our universe works.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because it is a big part of human life and the rest of the world. I do want to learn more about this topic and the role it plays in life.
Isidro

September 20, 2023 5:14 am

Dear Tejas:

I am amazed by your post, “Quantum Mechanics: The Science of How Our Universe Works” because it goes more into how physics works and how that specific field is helping
with modern research. Another reason why I’m amazed by it is due to the connections it has with other scientific fields and how they connect with research that has been done.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me is: “Schrödinger thought that this was untrue and that it was way too complicated. So, he abandoned the theory and started to look at biology.” I think this stands out to me because though Schrödinger abandoned his work, it helped other people to figure out how our universe works in a way that now benefits modern technology.

Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because of how math and science play a huge role in understanding the universe. I also want to know what you more about physics in general or specifics about it.

Soledad Garcilazo

Last edited 5 months ago by Soledad
September 15, 2023 4:30 pm

Dear Tejas:
I am intrigued by your post, about Quantum Mechanics because it is something I heard of but have not looked further into it until now. Another reason why I was intrigued by your post is that it was basic to understand with little information which helped me understand it more and made me want to read more because of it
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “There was an experiment in 1935 by a scientist which went by the name of Erwin Schrodinger. ” I think this stands out to me because the cat is not only dead but also alive when inside the box.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because of how interesting what you write about and how passionate you are when writing about your topic.
Ricardo

3
0
()