Creepy blurred photo of a person's face and a furry hood

People everywhere experience the harshness of betrayal. Whether it was when a friend hung out with someone else, a boss not giving a promotion he promised, or a spouse’s infidelity. These events can have a horrible effect on a person’s mindset causing them to question their worth or rather if it’s possible to ever trust again.

Forgetting the person that did the betrayal, taking a look at the confusing and conflicting emotions present in the victims’ psyche can help find a way for them to recover from such emotional blows. When it comes to those feelings, something as serious as depression could occur and cause the victim to become a danger to themselves and others. This is why intimate betrayal in multiple forms is always a good reason to see someone such as a therapist when these events happen.

The Article “Types of Intimate Betrayal” from Psychology Today by Steven Stoney, Ph.D., discusses the many forms of betrayal. It states that” Behaviors that intentionally hurt include more emotional abuse, verbal abuse, and domestic violence” illustrating the disappointing ways people are harmed by others (Stoney). Continuing from emotional abuse, romantic betrayal is mortifying. The realization of a lover’s disloyalty is not only mentally impactful but also heartbreaking, “Discovering a partner’s affair can be devastating because it strikes at so many aspects of one’s identity” indicating how easy it is to lose self-esteem (Coleman). Relationships are built on trust and vulnerability. They are made on the risk of putting faith in one another to work together and protect each other. “…because our relationships are built upon the fragile agreement that those whom we care most deeply will behave, in a large part, as they have always behaved (Coleman). The fear of distrust can lead to huge degrees of traumatization because everything that was ever known seems to be proven, causing one to question their character and surroundings.

Altogether, sentiments regarding the concept of deception can leave lasting effects on a person’s emotional stability leading to the paranoia of recurring crossing from others.

Sources

Coleman, Joshua. “Surviving Betrayal.” Greater Good, https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/surviving_betrayal.

Stosny, Steven. “Types of Intimate Betrayal.” Psychology Today, Sussex Publishers, https://www.psychologytoday.com/ie/blog/anger-in-the-age-entitlement/201307/types-intimate-betrayal

Adalia, I honestly would’ve never thought about how betrayal affects someone. Of course, the idea of healing and possible forgiveness from betrayal is something I know about, but the full depth of the concept and how it affects someone’s mental health is something I’ve personally never looked at. Your descriptions of how people get over betrayal are so ranges and show how much you know about the topic and how much you want to educate people on the concept. So, thank you for bringing this to my attention!

I think you picked a very interesting topic that a lot of people can relate to on a very personal interest. It is important that you mentioned that there are different types of betrayal, which validates everyone’s experience because not everyone experiences things like betrayal in the same way. You picked a very credible source by using an author with a Ph. D.; however, I think you could have transitioned into your quote a smoother. Overall, you wrote a great blog on a very fascinating topic.

I love the topic of this post, it is very detailed and helpful. I like how you talk about the aftermath of betrayal, it is not talked about enough. One thing you could improve on would be to go into more detail about the meaning of betrayal. Overall this post is very informative and interesting!

This is an extremely interesting and important topic! It is not often spoken about, but it is nice to read about! I think that the idea that betrayal can have a significant decrease in trust, not only with the person but in general, is very true. The ideas behind the process of overcoming this kind of hurt show that our generation is making a difference in the world of mental health, and being more open about our struggles. Thanks for sharing!

I Adalia,
I love the way you talk about recovery from betrayal as this is not often talked about. It has become a lot more common and I know several people as well as myself that could benefit from this. Betrayal brings an emotional plain so strong that it turns physical and I think it is very important to spread awareness of removing from this. I am looking forward to your next writing.

Dear Adalia :
I have touched on this research of yours, “phycology on the aftermath of betrayal,” because it talks about how some people question their worth after being betrayed as if they are not good enough.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “These events can have a horrible effect on a person’s mindset causing them to question their worth or rather if it’s possible to ever trust again.” I think this is a little sad because people start to question if they even have value.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you have some very interesting resaerch.
Maria zavala

October 2, 2021 3:14 am

Dear Adalia,

well reading your posted about ¨psychology on the aftermath of betrayal ¨this really impressed me because it´s talking about emotions. i think i it impressive to see how people feel and see other people feels busing other people feelings .

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: ¨When it comes to those feelings, something as serious as depression could occur and cause the victim to become a danger to themselves and others.¨. i think that this sentence stand out to me because it just show me that people can be use because of there mental health.

Thank you for writing. i look forward to your next writing because i really like how you see people emotions in different ways.

Perla

Last edited 18 days ago by Perla
September 29, 2021 8:38 pm

Hello Adalia, thank you for addressing Betrayal and how much of a negative impact it could have on someone’s health. I rarely see Betrayal in particular being discussed. Many people get betrayed, but others tend to brush it off because “they’ll get over it.” Being betrayed, especially from someone close, could make someone feel worthless and bring them down into a bad mental state. Not only is seeing a therapist important, but I think that more people should try to understand and support the person who was betrayed rather than saying they’ll be fine.

September 29, 2021 8:30 pm

Hi Adalia, I liked when you talked about recovery from betrayal, because it happens a lot nowadays and people can end up harming themselves or others. Betrayal always hurts emotionally and physically and a lot of people went through that, including me. Thank you for writing about such an important topic, I am looking forward for your next writing.

9
0
()