The articles I was reading were mostly about how separating children from their parents causes them to act out more in the future and hurt them and others.

Reading these articles has taught me why it’s important to keep families together and not separate them. Children from the ages 1-16 who get separated from their parents tend to become more violent and depressed.

They start to grow up with the mindset that their parents didn’t fight hard enough for them. This leads them to start to do violent acts to attract attention because they didn’t have their family around. 

Most of these kids when they get separated from their parents the government doesn’t even take good care of them. I was reading an article about one person who got separated from his family due to ICE and they said that the kids get treated like criminals.

Most of these kids aren’t being fed and most of these kids don’t even have a bed to sleep on and it’s hard enough for these kids because they don’t even have their family around them. In most of these detention facilities, they are very crowded and are getting more crowded daily.

This can lead to starvation and illness due to the lack of food and beds in these facilities?  

Check out my collection of resources: The Trauma of Separating Children at the Border

1. Yamile 1 week ago

Dear Amani:
    I am unhappy with the treatment and separation of the children in your writing, “What happens to children separated from their parents?.” It’s an everyday thing that happens at the borders and immigration facilities and it’s unjust. The treatment is horrible and no one does anything about it. One sentence that you wrote that stood out to me was, “Most of these kids aren’t being fed and most of these kids don’t even have a bed to sleep on and it’s hard enough for these kids because they don’t even have their family around them.” I think this is saddening and no one should have to go through these circumstances. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because the topics should be brought up more often. – Yamile Beltran

2. ali 2 weeks ago

It’s so important to shed the light on every aspect of children being separated from their parents. When reading these articles, majority of people think about how disgusting it is for detention centers to get away with this, but you dove deeper into the mental consequences this can have on a child. Thank you for writing this.

3. Diana 5 months ago

Dear Amani :
    I am saddened by your writing, “What happens to children separated from their parents?” because of the truth, it holds. Not many people talk about the reality of separating families.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Most of these kids when they get separated from their parents the government doesn’t even take good care of them. ” I think this is nice because It is very true, and I agree with it. The US government treats them all as if they were not important. For example, the government outs kids in concentration camps with the lack of even the simplest of health requirements.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this topic hit very close to home.
    Diana Zuniga

4. Erick R 11 months ago

Dear Amani,
    I loved this article very much because most of what you said was true. In paragraph 1 it quotes, “Reading these articles has taught me why it’s important to keep families together and not separate them. Children from the ages 1-16 who get separated from their parents tend to become more violent and depressed. They start to grow up with the mindset that their parents didn’t fight hard enough for them. This leads them to start to do violent acts to attract attention because they didn’t have their family around”. My parents did seperate when I was little so I did get depressed at times and I did tend to be bad, but not the BAD bad kid of bad, because I know being more than bad is not the way, and I want to be a good example for my little brothers because I love them so much. I want to be a good example for my mom and stepdad as well because they’ve done so much for me and raised me right.