Pros and Cons: Discussions about Controversial Issues on Youth Voices

Should we be rooting for Trump's success?

Excerpt from ``Donald Trump`` From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In June 2015, Trump announced his candidacy for president as a Republican and quickly emerged as the front-runner for his party’s nomination. In May 2016, his remaining Republican rivals suspended their campaigns, and in July he was formally nominated for president at the 2016 Republican National Convention. Trump’s campaign received unprecedented media coverage and international attention. Many of his statements in interviews, on Twitter, and at campaign rallies have been controversial or false. Several rallies during the primaries were accompanied by protests. Trump’s platform included renegotiation of U.S.–China trade deals, opposition to particular trade agreements, such as NAFTA and the Trans-Pacific Partnership, stronger enforcement of immigration laws together with building a wall along the U.S.–Mexico border, reform of veterans‘ care, repeal and replacement of the Affordable Care Act, and tax cuts. Following the November 2015 Paris attacks, Trump called for a temporary ban on Muslim immigration, later changing into his policy of “extreme vetting” from certain areas of the world.[5]

Statement by the President, Rose Garden, November 9, 2016

The day after the election of Donald J. Trump, Barak Obama said: “I have instructed my team to… work as hard as we can to make sure that this is a successful transition for the President-elect — because we are now all rooting for his success in uniting and leading the country.”  The Press Office 2016/11/09

Do you agree with Obama? Should we be rooting for Trump’s success?

Click here to find articles that Youth Voices students are annotating on Hypothesis about Trump

Pro Trump Posts with Most Comments

Con Trump Posts with Most Comments

Should we have more gun control?

Excerpt from ``Should More Gun Control Laws Be Enacted?`` on ProCon.org

The United States has 88.8 guns per 100 people, or about 270,000,000 guns, which is the highest total and per capita number in the world. 22% of Americans own one or more guns (35% of men and 12% of women). America’s pervasive gun culture stems in part from its colonial history, revolutionary roots, frontier expansion, and the Second Amendment, which states: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Proponents of more gun control laws state that the Second Amendment was intended for militias; that gun violence would be reduced; that gun restrictions have always existed; and that a majority of Americans, including gun owners, support new gun restrictions. Opponents say that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to own guns; that guns are needed for self-defense from threats ranging from local criminals to foreign invaders; and that gun ownership deters crime rather than causes more crime. Read more background on ProCon.org…

A youth, Kavi‘s post on Youth Voices, November 18, 2016

In a post about gun control in America, Kavi writes:
“The idea of gun control has been tossed around since the idea of the Second Amendment. It’s problematic because America has been known for having the highest number of guns per capita and the highest number of gun shootings per year. I think this problem should be solved soon to stop having as many shootings as we have right now.”
Kavi’s wants to:
“look at both perspectives to know why people would be for or against gun control because it’s important to know why people do or don’t like gun control laws…. What do you think about gun control laws. Are you for or against gun control laws? Why?” (Research Discussion)

Part of President Obama’s Response to a Question About Gun Control, June 2, 2016

During the question and answer session of a PBS Newshour town hall in Elkhart, Indiana, gun shop owner Doug Rhude accused Obama and Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton of wanting to take guns away from the “good guys.” This was part of Obama’s response:
“So, sir, I just have to say, respectfully, that there is a way for us to have commonsense gun laws. There is a way for us to make sure that lawful, responsible gun owners like yourself are able to use them for sporting, hunting, protecting yourself, but the only way we’re going to do that is if we don’t have a situation in which anything that is proposed is viewed as some tyrannical destruction of the Second Amendment. And that’s how the issue too often gets framed.” — President Barack Obama

Do you agree with Obama? Is there a way for us to have commonsense gun laws?

Pro Gun Control Posts with Most Comments

Con Gun Control Posts with Most Comments

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pros and Cons: Discussions about Controversial Issues on Youth Voices by Paul is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.