Sunny is a dynamic character. His archetype changes over the course of the book. At the beginning of the story, he is the archetypal black sheep. This can be seen on page 3, where the author writes:

“But I like it anyway. because i’m weird. Which you definitely know. Yo know I like weird stuff.”

But by page 51, sunny has begun to transform into the archetypal the striver. His homeschool teacher Aurelia motivated him in a way and helped him evolve in a way.  Evidence of this is on page 51:

“Diary, she was talking to me about how I did what I said I was going to do, and when I was going to do it, so that I didn’t feel like I was disrespecting my mom by quitting on the day she died or on the day she gave birth to me.”

Sunny is no longer the person who cowarded away from making a big choice in life.

A reader might predict that the turning point for sunny comes when Sunny tells his father that he quit running. Page 74 encourages this prediction:

“I told him I quit running the mile.”