Follow this link to see this comment in the original context.

The coronavirus pandemic has been the source of heartache and uncertainty for millions of families across the country; however, the pandemic also amplified the problem of hunger in America. The lack of food and resources available to those who struggle with hunger has always been an issue in America. This problem continues to grow, “As of March and April 2020, national estimates of food insecurity more than tripled to 38%” (Leung 1763). The pandemic amplified an already grave and serious problem across our country, food insecurity. Covid is to blame for this astonishing rate. Millions more Americans are going hungry and are suffering under the effects of food insecurity. This statistic was only the beginning of the extensive problem.

This problem of food insecurity is defined as, “…consistent worry or concern about access to adequate amounts of affordable and nutritious food at all times” (Paslakis 114). Individuals living paycheck to paycheck struggle with the decision of paying their bills or providing food for their families. Families consistently worry about the food available to them. Families are unable to afford the nutritious food that is necessary. Furthermore, “The first coping strategy for people suffering an income loss is to maintain calorie intake but at the expense of healthy (but more expensive) nutritious foods”(Laborde 5). Families have turned to buying unhealthy foods that are often cheaper than the fruits and vegetables that are needed. These foods are cheaper; however, individuals are not getting the proper nutrients that their bodies need to boost their immune systems to fight off potential infection of covid. Nutritious foods must also be consumed to protect from long-term health effects. The pandemic brought to light this previously forgotten issue. 

The pandemic has impacted every person across our country and has brought previously forgotten problems into the spotlight. The issue of food insecurity needs to be addressed to prevent long-term effects from ravaging our country. This food insecurity will affect the health of community members and will increase the poverty rate in our country. Everyone needs to realize the gravity of the problem of food insecurity to prevent widespread hunger and poverty across the country. 

Laborde, David, and Carin Smaller. “What Would It Cost to Avert the COVID-19 Hunger Crisis?.” Home, 1 June 2020, https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/7017 /costing-brief-V3.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y. Accessed 2 March 2020. 

Leung, Cindy W., and Julia A. Wolfson. “Food Insecurity During COVID-19: An Acute Crisis With Long-Term Health Implications.” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 110, no.  12, December 2020, pp. 1763-1765, https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305953. Accessed 2 March 2021. 

Paslakis, Georgios, et al. “A Call to Action to Address COVID-19 Induced Global Food Insecurity to Prevent Hunger, Malnutrition, and Eating Pathology.” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 79, no.1, January 2021, pp. 114-116, https://doi.org/10.1093/nutri/nuaa069. Accessed  2 March 2021. 

Help on Youth Voices