Slavery was a tragic stain on American history, a cruel and inhumane practice that spread throughout the South. Even almost 200 years after its abolishment, its impact is still felt and experienced. The city of Atlanta, Georgia has clear ties to slavery that are still evident today.

I believe this demonstrates the connection between the origins of the city and the role of slavery in shaping its economy. Atlanta was a major center for cotton production, a crop that was heavily reliant on slave labor. As a result, the city’s population rapidly expanded. However, with the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation in 1865, slaves were granted their freedom and the opportunity to own property. Unfortunately, discriminatory laws and unfair property prices made it nearly impossible for African Americans to accumulate wealth. The construction of interstate highways during the era of segregation further exacerbated this issue, as they destroyed the already limited housing options for black communities. These neighborhoods, known as “slums,” were the only affordable areas for black residents at the time.

The effects of slavery and its immediate consequences are still evident in modern society. Many minority groups are concentrated in the poorest neighborhoods of cities, where there is little to no upkeep and high levels of traffic. In recent years, there has been a trend of buying up houses in these areas and converting them into more desirable residences. However, this only serves to increase property taxes and displace groups, such as African Americans, who could only afford to live in these neighborhoods in the first place. This creates a vicious cycle that is destined to repeat itself.

April 5, 2024 11:16 pm

I like your connection that you made with slavery to modern society I agree with it and your writing has strong evidence which backs up your claim and that helps with understanding it in a clear way.

Quadir
April 5, 2024 1:47 pm

I like the first paragraph and how you bring in the topic of slavery and its affect even after such a long period of time. What caught my eye while reading your passage was the ending where you go about how slavery directly relates back to todays African American people and other minorities being concentrated in poor neighborhoods. This caught my eye because I couldn’t agree more with this statement.

Makai
April 5, 2024 1:29 am

I enjoy the way the first paragraph appeals to the readers emotional senses. It makes an emotional reader want to dive deeper, while also making a normal reader want to see what makes the essay want to appeal to you in an emotional sense. Was this the original intention?

Kaylin
April 4, 2024 11:24 pm

Hi, Jackson. I was intrigued by the amount of historical context that you added to your opinion piece. It gave the reader better context into the theme of racial segregation in urban development. How do you think we can undo the effects of the racial segregation from urban development?

Emanuel
April 4, 2024 8:36 pm

What really caught my attention to this post was there being no image, which might’ve been accidental but still caught my attention nonetheless. This text while being short makes its point and makes it well, giving a short background on Atlanta, and its involvement in the slave trade/slavery, which could have some more added but still presents its ideas as it is. This text overall had a very consistent tone, and ideas that it wanted to present, Jack Jack wanted to present his thoughts, and he presented them well.

5
0
()