people holding white and black poster during daytime

Race has always been a big factor in the type of life you have in America. Most minorities have gone through many struggles to continue a life in America. Americans and African American continue to live separately, with unequal treatment from the government. “Every one of our systems in America has been impacted—infected, in fact—in some significant way by these racial disparities and these racial inequalities,” says Yohuru Williams, a civil rights scholar at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota.

People of color are in a constant battle to keep their lives due to minor inconveniences with government officials. This has been going on for 400 years, but it is more normalized now. Black people have had to live with constantly being suppressed. Today, nearly 80 percent of people in federal prison for drug offenses are Black or Latinx even though studies show that people of all races use and sell drugs at similar rates.