Matthew Serrano

Musician

Artist

Skater

Thinker

Ten Poems

Student at
Harvest Collegiate High School
in New York City

Kiran has been a pioneer of the progressive schools movement in New York City over the past two decades — she has extensive expertise in cultivating students’ lifelong love of reading, in field studies and experiential learning and in engaging students with the great texts of the world’s religions, including Gilgamesh, Genesis and Exodus, the Buddha, and The Ramayana. As a teacher, Kiran is a delicate artist who cares deeply about knowing and reaching every student to read, write and express more than they previously thought possible. Raised in Cambridge, Kiran holds a BA from Oberlin, an MA in the Teaching of English from Teachers College, Columbia University and has contributed to various professional circles including The Prospect Institute and The Writing Project. She has published extensively in educational journals and in addition to teaching Humanities, now leads our Art and GSX club.

Mood Board: What Inspires My Poetry

Critical Essay

Discuss your reactions to poems by other poets. How do their DICTION (word choice), and SYNTAX (sound techniques) affect you as a reader? What tension, ambiguity, irony, or paradox do you experience in your reading?

I am a text and media block. You can add links to publicly shared Google Docs or other Web pages, and you can add images, audio tracks, or videos, VoiceThreads — or anything you can embed.

• Log in at http://youthvoices.live
  • Click Dashboard
  • Click Pages / All Pages. Then find the Author’s Page with your name on it, and click edit. (If you don’t have an Author’s Page, ask your teacher/mentor or email allisonpr@gmail.com to set it up for you.)
  • Click the edit button to in this Text Block to change this text.

You can add links to publicly shared Google Docs or other Web pages, and you can add images or videos.

MR – How I write poetry from CLPE on Vimeo.

Demo Tracks

Make links to earlier drafts of your poems, and discuss the diction (word choice) and syntax (sound techniques) you used, why you made specific revisions and the intended impact of those revisions.

I am a text and media block. You can add links to publicly shared Google Docs or other Web pages, and you can add images, audio tracks, or VoiceThreads — or anything you can embed.

• Log in at http://youthvoices.live
  • Click Dashboard
  • Click Pages / All Pages. Then find the Author’s Page with your name on it, and click edit. (If you don’t have an Author’s Page, ask your teacher/mentor or email allisonpr@gmail.com to set it up for you.)

Docs Sharing from paulallison on Vimeo.

Sample Credits

• Analyze how poems that you have read in (or outside of) class inspired or influenced the poetry you wrote for this author’s page.
  • Link to and/or describe visual art that inspired the poetry presented on your author’s page.

• Log in at http://youthvoices.live
  • Click Dashboard

Special Thanks

An expression of gratitude to individuals and groups who inspired, motivated, or supported you in your writing process.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Matthew Serrano by Matthew is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.