Recently, I read Selected Poems, by Langston Hughes.  I relished the thought of the ingeniousness Langston uses in his poems. This book gives me a sense of all the ideas that ran through his mind, his creativity. 

This book only contained poems so “it’s not much to go off.” But Langston was passionate. He wanted his words to have meaning and be repeated till they were fully understood.

He wanted others to feel the pain/promise/passion/peace/pureness and even placid emotion. It needed to stand out. It needed to tell his story without actually writing it. And I see it.  

image_pdfimage_printPrint this page.

Ocean
November 28, 2020 3:05 am

Dear Drew,
I Love that you give insight on the Poems of Langston Hughes, I look forward to reading the poems.

Alexander
November 23, 2020 3:43 pm

This reply is really good and Langston Hughes poems and book is a big thing in black history.

November 15, 2020 6:55 pm

Drew: I am so glad that you found the poetry of Langston Hughes. When we find a poet and some of that poet’s lines, other things in our culture open up for us. Like when we read a play called “A Raisin the Sun” we can see the allusion that is being made to Hughes poetry that makes a suggestion of what happens to a dream. When we read a poem like “I, too, am America” we can see how the poet uses his, her, or their artistry to respond to the culture. In this poem, Hughes goes toe-to-toe with America’s bard, Walt Whitman to make a claim on his place in the country. Keep reading, Drew.

Mr. Hankins from Room 407 in Southern Indiana (SIlver Creek High School)

Help on Youth Voices
3
0
()