Youth from across the country, including a group who are currently visiting the border, will be talking about immigration.
How has immigration impacted your life?
Participate by sharing YOUR STORY and talking about how immigration is affecting our country.
What reform is needed, and what can you do to work for reform??
Watch this video https://youtu.be/bDJkqBioTFs made by +Karen Fasimpaur , and plan to join us
http://edtechtalk.com/ttt on Wednesday, June 8 at 9PM Eastern/8PM Central/7PM Mountain/6PM Pacific.?
For more information, visit https://crossplanting.wordpress.com/?

Chat from June 8, 2016

20:46Karen Fasimpaur: If any of you are joining the hangout, click the link above.
20:46Karen Fasimpaur: Lucy, you have the hangout link?
20:47Joe Rodriguez: I’ll be listening in from here.
20:47Karen Fasimpaur: Cool
20:50Karen Fasimpaur: Joe, the students from LA are on. Yay!
20:50Karen Fasimpaur: Lauren, Sally and Arin, can you click to get in the hangout?
20:51Joe Rodriguez: I saw documentary on Pilgrimage for redemption. It was awesome!
20:51Joe Rodriguez: Great to hear Karen..
20:52Karen Fasimpaur: Thanks, Joe. It was a lovely project to work on. We went out on another cross planting this morning. So sad.
20:53Joe Rodriguez: Wow.. I do have a family story.. 🙁
20:53Karen Fasimpaur: it’s a heart breaking situation
20:53Joe Rodriguez: My dad’s younger brother got lost on the border in 71..
20:54Joe Rodriguez: at 18 years..we never heard from him again
20:54Karen Fasimpaur: tragic
20:55Karen Fasimpaur: Joe, if you want to join hte hangout, there’s room
20:56Joe Rodriguez: the youtube stream starts automatically right?
20:56Joe Rodriguez: I’m ok here for now.. willing to jump in later
20:57Karen Fasimpaur: cool
20:59Peggy George: Hi everyone!
20:59Karen Fasimpaur: Hi Peggy
20:59Karen Fasimpaur: Ann, are you in the hangout? Can you hear us?
21:00Joe Rodriguez: Hey Peggy
21:00Ada Okun (watching): Hi, I’m excited to listen in.
21:00Karen Fasimpaur: Hi, Ada. Great see y ou.
21:00Peggy George: not seeing the stream here yet. have you started it?
21:00Joe Rodriguez: don’t think so..
21:00Karen Fasimpaur: not sure
21:00Peggy George: Hi Joe! Great to see you again!!
21:01Joe Rodriguez: Awesome show on Saturday..
21:01Chris Sloan: I liked your video Karen
21:01Karen Fasimpaur: Stream is going live now
21:01Peggy George: seeing it now 🙂 thanks!
21:01Karen Fasimpaur: Thanks, chris. It was a labor of love.
21:01Joe Rodriguez: oh yeah.. can hear it now
21:01Karen Fasimpaur: thx peggy
21:01Joe Rodriguez: cool… a packed hangout
21:03Peggy George: wonder if Lucy has a fan nearby?
21:04Joe Rodriguez: a very complex issue.
21:04Karen Fasimpaur: I’ll mute her when she’s done talking
21:04Peggy George: ok thanks 🙂
21:05Joe Rodriguez: My granpa and brother crossed the border in 1943… to work unloading railroad trucks in Pittsburg
21:05Joe Rodriguez: grandpa
21:06Peggy George: that’s what I thought! a fan 🙂 I’m sure it’s hot there!
21:06Chris Sloan: You called it Peggy. You’re such a pro
21:07Joe Rodriguez: I remember webcasting in 100 degrees plus with no fan 😀
21:07Allison Fay: I’m from Wilkes University too!
21:07Joe Rodriguez: a great assignment
21:07Peggy George: I have turned my fan off on any occasions too and I know how hot it can be!
21:08unnamed: also from Wilkes University!
21:08Peggy George: Karen I think Lucy’s mic is still active or her video wouldn’t keep popping up.
21:09Gail Desler: 8 minutes in – and this is already such a powerful ttt session.
21:09Chris Sloan: Hi Gail
21:10Peggy George: Hi Gail! So glad you could join us! I agree! Awesome group of people tonight!
21:10Joe Rodriguez: Hi Gail.. great to see you here
21:10Karen Fasimpaur: Hi, Allison. Great to see you all here
21:11Joe Rodriguez: Wow.. such a powerful experience.
21:11Karen Fasimpaur: It is super hot here right now
21:12Gail Desler: Thanks Chris, Peggy & Joe. Such an important topic for educators.
21:14Joe Rodriguez: Experience with a powerful way to get educated… to walk in the shoes of others
21:15Peggy George: so true Joe!
21:16Joe Rodriguez: Immigration reform is very complex.. it is more than pure economics.. there are so many social issues involved also
21:17Joe Rodriguez: What about being a Dreamer? Growing up American and realizing you don’t have access to the American Dream
21:19Gail Desler: In response to current climate, I’m trying to document the coming to America experience: http://blogs.egusd.net/tor/student-gallery/immigrant-refugee-projects/
21:20Joe Rodriguez: Looking forward to reading it @Gail
21:23Karen Fasimpaur: HI, Gail. Ditto
21:24Joe Rodriguez: There are far more economic gains from migrants than any kind of cost to society
21:24Peggy George: these students are so articulate! making great points!
21:24Gail Desler: Would like to add this ttt session to the Time of Remembrance On Coming to America resources
21:26Chris Sloan: The Time of Remembrance page looks really interesting Gail.
21:27Joe Rodriguez: Labels can cause a lot of harm.
21:27Allison Fay: We as humans tend to need to put people in certain boxes.
21:27Joe Rodriguez: I like migrants.. it transcends borders
21:28Gail Desler: It’s in response to some very real concerns about challenges refugees/immigrants in the Sacramento area are facing.
21:28Joe Rodriguez: yep the distinction is importan
21:28Joe Rodriguez: the move west.. the okies coming to California as migrants 🙂
21:29Karen Fasimpaur: “Migrants’ is a common term social justice organizers here use, but I rarely hear it from anyone else
21:30Karen Fasimpaur: Its a lot safer here than in LA where I used to live 🙂
21:31Karen Fasimpaur: Link from what Moira was talking about – see esp last few paragraphs
21:31Joe Rodriguez: I had not really come across it in this context
21:31Allison Fay: I’ve recall reading that biologically we tend to judge people/label immediately as it calls back to a time where we needed to make snap judgements in order to survive. Being able to see the complexity behind people and issues speaks to our evolution. Some are more evolved than others…
21:32Karen Fasimpaur: Similar issues with other labels
21:32Joe Rodriguez: Great point Fay, sometimes we are segregated in our cities and it’s hard to understand other’s point of view
21:33Karen Fasimpaur: that sounds familiar…I never really learned to navigate that very well
21:39Joe Rodriguez: I agree Paul Immigration is part of a larger converstation around social issues.
21:42Karen Fasimpaur: There’s another big federal ICE crackdown targeting families. I just don’t understand that
21:43Joe Rodriguez: I remember growing up in the 70’s in an immigrant family in this situation. There is a lot of fear and stress..
21:45Joe Rodriguez: Easier said than done…
21:47Joe Rodriguez: Interesting term.. your status
21:47Joe Rodriguez: out of status..
21:48Sister Lucy: Veronica said she is joining–I invited her–from Milwaukee
21:49Sister Lucy: please invite her to speak when appropriate
21:49Karen Fasimpaur: Here’s the link to the Kalamazoo Promisehttps://www.kalamazoopromise.com/10things/10ThingsYouNeedtoKnow
21:49Karen Fasimpaur: “The Kalamazoo Promise is for ALL students of the Kalamazoo Public Schools”
21:49Karen Fasimpaur: Will do Lucy
21:49Gail Desler: #Stop ??? didn’t catch the whole term
21:50Karen Fasimpaur: Yulin
21:51Gail Desler: Thanks, Karen.
21:51Karen Fasimpaur: The militarization of the border here is frightening to me
21:52Karen Fasimpaur: empathy
21:53Peggy George: that daily fear is so real! I am familiar with it first hand in my own family. For an adult just driving down the freeway causes fear that they may get stopped for some reason and get deported as a result.
21:54Karen Fasimpaur: Yes, and there’s been a lot of issues lately with AZ law enforcement trampling rights on this issue (esp re: traffic stops)
21:55Karen Fasimpaur: “Hispanic”…another label
21:55Karen Fasimpaur: hard to avoid but also damaging
21:56Chris Sloan: Kudos to Notre Dame High School for providing such a powerful education experience for the students
21:57Joe Rodriguez: @Chris I agree learning by doing
21:57Gail Desler: Agreeing with @Chris. Would love to see a write up on the Notre Dame program.
21:57Karen Fasimpaur: And also kudos to the group here on the border that host so many groups like this. It’s powerful and meaningful work
21:58Joe Rodriguez: We need to have more of these classes available to youth.. love the idea of social justice curriculum.
21:58Peggy George: telling their stories is not as easy as it sounds because their parents have warned them that it may cause problems for them which could lead to deportation
21:59Joe Rodriguez: The Zinn Project seems to be doing a lot
21:59Chris Sloan: And if you haven’t yet, check out Karen’s video https://youtu.be/bDJkqBioTFs?list=UU_cNeUyGme-SZ1_RtnD9GOQ
21:59Joe Rodriguez: http://zinnedproject.org/
22:00Gail Desler: “Finding ways for people to share their immigration stories, so important” – Agreeing with Paul.
22:00Peggy George: thanks to all of the students and guests in the Hangout for sharing your experiences and advice! Outstanding conversation!!
22:00Gail Desler: Yes, an outstanding conversation!
22:00Karen Fasimpaur: From Moira “People need to understand each other. Misunderstanding is always one of the main reasons of discrimination or something like what I said”
22:01Karen Fasimpaur: Thanks to everyone in hte chat room for being a part of the conversation here.
22:02Joe Rodriguez: Thanks folks it’s been thoughful conversation
22:05Karen Fasimpaur: Joe, thanks for helping get the LA students here with us!
22:05Karen Fasimpaur: From Moira: “Be sure to check out my page, The Movie Destroyer We have new stuffs on movies maybe every month My sci-fi book, Miracle Line, is possibly that will publish next year. If anyone is interested, please search for Miracle Line on Facebook”
22:05Joe Rodriguez: I am glad Andres was able to bring his students into the conversation
22:07Peggy George: Karen, that was a great point about how the border patrol policies are forcing them to cross in very unsafe places leading to more deaths in the desert. I hadn’t been aware of that.
22:08Gail Desler: Night all. Great conversation!
22:09Joe Rodriguez: good night all…

CC BY-SA 4.0 Immigration and Remembrance (Streamed live on Jun 8, 2016) by Paul is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.