Tana Smith is a professional YouTube personality and has decided to use her program to speak her truth, meaning what is important to her and her life, instead of just DIY decor, in the coming year.MICHAEL BRYANT/ Staff Photographer, Philadelphia Inquirer

We invite you to introduce yourself to others on Youth Voices while we introduce you to a few of the multimodal, varied ways of communicating on the site.

We are asking you to:

• Learn more about Costa and Kallick’s Habits of Mind by making personal connections when you comment on a book chapter, “Describing the Habits of Mind.”
  • Choose three of the 16 habits that represent your strengths, and set up the sections for a digital portfolio using Web Stories.
  • Write a short bio based on these same Habits of Mind. Write three paragraphs to introduce yourself to the Youth Voices community.
  • Create your first Discussion post. Record and post your short bio with an image on Youth Voices.

We welcome you to the Youth Voices community — where nobody is a newbie for long.

Click here to see this playlist in a Kumospace.

Activities

Your goal for this playlist is to complete the four activities in the boxes below. As you finish each of these endeavors, your work will be collected in the timeline of your wall on Youth Voices. At a later time, we’ll ask you to bookmark the items in your timeline that are most meaningful to you, and we’ll ask you to reflect on and assess your learning using the Habits of Mind.

[1 of 4] Make Personal Connections to the Habits of Mind

You will develop the skill of using personal connections to make meaning of a text.

We invite you to read and annotate a foundational text about the “16 Habits of Mind” proposed by Arthur L. Costa and Bena Kallick “to create a more thoughtful, cooperative, compassionate generation of people who skillfully work to resolve social, environmental, economic and political problems.” (https://www.habitsofmindinstitute.org/about-us/)

Use a tool called NowComment to make comments on Costa’s “descriptions for 16 of the attributes that human beings display when they behave intelligently.” Describe the habits with your own words and give examples from your life. Click here: Describing the Habits of Mind.

What we are inviting you to make:

We want you to spend some time making personal connections by writing responses to specific sentences and paragraphs in Describing the Habits of Mind, by Arthur L. Costa. He has crafted descriptions of the 16 Habits of Mind and other readers have already added their thoughts in the right plane of this document. We invite you to enter these conversations with your own takes and your own examples for the habits that have been most meaningful in your life. Write as many comments as you can, and reply to other readers as well!

Using an RSS feed, we will pull each of your NowComment annotations into the activity stream on your Youth Voices wall. (If that’s not happening yet, contact Paul Allison allisonpr@gmail.com and ask him to set you up.)

At a later time, we will ask you to bookmark the NowComment annotations and replies that are most meaningful to you and to say why.

Examples of Comments on Costa’s article:

How to do this, step-by-step:

Annotation means adding notes to the text (or image or video) about things you think and care about as you read (or watch). You can make notes as you read. You can show your thinking. You can “talk back” to the text or video. You can highlight important words or ideas. (Special bonus: You do not need to use full sentences or worry about grammar.)

Join and start a lot of conversations. Describe the habits with your own words and give examples from your life. Click here: Describing the Habits of Mind.

NowComment is free. Take 60 seconds to get an account now. Click here: Sign up. OR Log in (or Sign in with Google) if you already have an account.

If you are new to NowComment, check out these NowComment Basics.

Watch this video for help with making text comments.

Click here to see how to start a new conversation on NowComment

Reflecting on the Habits of Mind

When you finish annotating Costa’s descriptions and replying to other readers, write a status update on your Youth Voices wall. Reflect on how you used one or two of these Habits of Mind.

[2 of 4] Set Up Your Portfolio

Develop visual storytelling powers to show your learning and accomplishment in.a digital portfolio.

We invite you to set up a digital space for your portfolio using Web Stories.

What we are inviting you to make:

When you are done with this activity, you will have created a Web Story with three sections – one for each of the Habits of Mind that you have chosen – and blank pages that you will fill in later.

You will share your working draft portfolio in a Discussion Post on Youth Voices.

Examples of Habits of Mind Web Story Portfolios

How to do this, step-by-step:

1. On the Youth Voices home screen, hover over the section Member’s Wall.
  2. When the drop-down menu pops up, Click on “Create or Edit a Web Story.” A new tab will open.
  3. Search through the Web-Stories until you find “Marina’s Portfolio.”
  4. Hover over the title, “Marina’s Portfolio.” Three Vertical Dots will appear. Click on the three vertical dots.
  5. When the drop-down menu appears, click on duplicate.
  6. A duplicated copy of “Marina’s Portfolio” will appear. This will be YOUR template for your portfolio.
  7. Hover over the cover of your duplicate. A button titled, “Open in Editor” will appear. Click on this button. 
  8. You are now in editor mode for your portfolio. Consider using this blog post, How to Build Google Web Stories in WordPress, to support your revisions for personalizing your portfolio.
    1. Make sure that you rename your duplicate portfolio with your name.
    2. Don’t forget to select three Habits of Mind that you plan to highlight in your portfolio.
  9. When you have completed your portfolio set-up, click on the purple rectangular button in the upper right corner labeled “Publish.”
  10. A pop-up will appear on your screen. You can review the checklist before publishing or move forward by pressing “Continue to Publish.”
  11. A pop-up will appear on your screen. Click on the word “Dismiss.”
  12. Move your cursor to the right side of the screen. Click on the Section “Document.”
  13. Scroll through the section until you find the permalink to your portfolio. Copy the link.
  14. Return to the Youth Voices home screen, hover over the section Member’s Wall.
  15. When the drop-down menu pops up, Click on “Create a Discussion Post.” A new tab will open.
  16. Click on the blue square with a white plus sign in the upper left corner.
  17. In the Search tab, type “Web Stories.” Click on the icon that has the words “Web Stories” underneath it.
  18. A block will appear on the screen. Click on the 3rd rectangle labeled, “Story URL.” The rectangle also has a hyperlink symbol within it.
  19. Paste the permalink to your portfolio in the space provided. Click on the blue rectangular button that says “Embed.” Your portfolio will appear on the screen.

Read this blog post to see how to build Google Web Stories in WordPress.

Reflecting on the Habits of Mind

When you finish setting up your portfolio and embedding it into a discussion post, write a status update on your Youth Voices wall. Reflect on how you used one or two of these Habits of Mind.

Remaining Open to Continuous Learning Icon

[3 of 4] Write and Record Your Bio

Develop your multimodal skills while introducing yourself on a social network.

We invite you to introduce yourself to the Youth Voices community of youth, teachers, and mentors. Write and record a Bio that will be one of your first discussion posts on the site.

What we are inviting you to make

When you are done with this activity, you will have the text and a recording ready put up as a multimodal discussion post on Youth Voices. It will be a three paragraph bio that is written in a Youth Voices Doc with an MP3 file attached.

Three Examples of Bios in YV Docs with MP3’s Attached

YV Docs with Attachments

Compose, revise, record, proofread, and attach your audio file on Youth Voices Docs. Click the red buttons to see a few examples.

Christopher
Alexandria
Elena

How to do this, step-by-step:

1. Review your comments in NowComment. Click here: Describing the Habits of Mind.
  2. Choose the three Habits of Mind that you seem to relate to the most. (This could describe who you are or who you want to be).
  3. Copy your comments about the three Habits of Mind that you selected.
  4. Paste your comments in one Youth Voices document.
  5. Revise this writing with the idea that it is an introduction of yourself to the Youth Voices community.
  6. As you revise, consider some of these questions to support your revisions and expansion:
    1. Have I connected my ideas to my selected Habits of Mind?
    2. Have I grouped ideas cohesively to maintains focus?
    3. Are there places where I can eliminate or combine ideas?

When you have completed your written bio, you are ready to record your bio with audio.

1. Select one of these two platforms to record your audio: Vocaroo or Online Voice Recorder.
  2. Make sure to download and save your recording to your device.

Watch this video for helpful tips to support your revision:

Habits of Mind you will practice when you do this activity:

When you finish writing, revising, and recording your bio, write a status update where you reflect on how you used two or three of these Habits of Mind to complete this work. How is your work evidence of your ability to use these Habits of Mind?

[4 of 4] Post Bio with Audio and an Image

Amp up your skills in writing, audio, and visual presentation in social media.

We invite you to create a multimodal discussion post on Youth Voices to introduce yourself to the other members of your class and the wider YV community!

What we are inviting you to make:

This might be your first post on Youth Voices. Welcome! We call these published documents “discussion posts” because we see each of them as the beginning of a conversation. The Block system on Youth Voices allows you to publish images, videos, and text in as many ways as you imagination can take you. Here we are asking you to include an audio file and a featured image along with your written text.

Any Discussion Post you create also gets listed in your Activity stream and your wall has a tab to highlight all of your posts. We’ll ask you to bookmark your most important, meaningful discussion posts at a later time and include them in your portfolio.

Let’s see where this goes!

Three Examples of Bios on Youth Voices

Bios, Bio ELLs, Journalism Bios

Click the red button to see three different kinds of bios on Youth Voices.

Three examples
  • My Name
    Tap left to go back, right to go forward. Print this page. Author Raniyah
  • An Accident in the Street
    I remember the first two years after I came from China to America. And because I was bored at home, I always invited my friend from school to come to my house to play games, especially shooting games. He also just come to America and he also speaks Chinese. Because he was the first one that I knew from that school, he had become a really good friend to me. One day, I invited my friend to come to my house to play video games. My friend came outside my house and knocked on my door, He […]
  • Everyday stories of everyday people
    My name is Tierney Reardon. This will be my third year in journalism. In my first year, I wrote as a staff writer for the features section. The following year, I co-edited and wrote for the news section and this year I am writing for and editing the opinion section. I decided to be a journalist in order to both find out more about it as a possible career path and to improve my writing.  I would say my main strengths are my organizational skills. Staying organized has helped me from the beginning of my time in […]

More Examples of Multimodal Bio Posts on Youth Voices

Discussion Posts Youth Voices
Raising your voice with writing and media about issues that are important to you and your community for the purpose of engaging peers and the general public in conversationsUsing the WordPress Block Editor, youth publish both short- and long-form posts of any genre and using all media–from poems and stories to personal narratives and literary essays and from reactions to current events to well-researched, cited arguments. The youths’ comments and replies on texts, videos, and images on NowComment also appear as posts on their timelines–capturing their lives as readers as well as writers and media makers.

(Click this tab again to close the one to the right.)

20 Most Recent Bio Posts
  • Persisting
    It doesn’t matter how far you have to walk, how hard you have to work, or the obstacles you must overcome; as far as you have peace with your mind and heart, keep going and […]
  • I Hear you!
    I’ve been working in restaurants for over 8 years now. When you work in the hospitality industry listening is a must. I’ve worked with and served people from all around the world when working on […]
  • Regina’s Biography
    I was born in the Dominican Republic and my parents named me Regina. I was one of the eleven brothers and sisters who made my immediate family. Our main language is Spanish. My educational history […]
  • My Biography
    Hello, my name is Crystal Santana. I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic. My earliest education was completed there. I came to the United States when I was in 11th grade. It was […]
  • A Little Bit of Me!
    My name is Claudia Suarez, I’m Dominican, I’m Cancer and I am a bilingual PreK teacher. I believe all children can learn as long as they are provided with the appropriate tools and assistance to […]
  • A Little More About Me
    My name is Christal Perdomo and I am a grad student studying high school math education. I took a long break from my college education and I am very happy I was able to get […]
  • An Entrance to My Life
    I am Bradly Rivera, a 23 year-old learner and mentor. I connect with many of the habit’s of mind (HOB’s) but the one’s that hit home the most are “managing impulsivity,” “listening with understanding and […]
  • This is Me
    My name is Branden Girtman. I am from Port Chester, New York. I Love to go to church and interact with people from all walks of life. I am a music teacher and one thing […]
  • Three Habits Important to Me!
    As a literacy teacher and lover of all things related to literacy (especially as it relates to technology), the habits of mind we have been working with have so many connections to the skills I […]
  • Using Habits of Mind to Play Music Better
    Hello! My name is Jesse and I am a music teacher with a background in creative approaches. I’ve chosen three of Costa’s Habits of Mind to summarize myself as a teacher and also my approach […]
  • Irreplaceable
    In the United States, I learned how to think flexibly to respect individuals’ ideas. It is essential to listen to and value other people’s opinions. I try to be open-minded; so I can learn from […]
  • A New Creation
    Have you heard of the Dunning-Kruger Effect? This is a common occurrence where the most confident people are not the experts, but the ones with only a slight understanding about a given topic. Psychologists believe […]
  • Making Connections between Habits, Deeper Learning, Anti-Racist Pedagogy
    Back in 2019, I was asked by SCALE (a Stanford University center) to work on the creation of Deeper Learning modules for pre-service teachers. With support from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, educators across […]
  • Old Dog, New Tricks: Three Habits of Mind and TPCK
    Even after 40 years in the teaching business, I have a great deal to learn.  As I work on my online teaching skills, I realize that there need to be some significant shifts in my […]
  • Thunder and Fire
    It’s wrong to say they’re a force of nature, For nature is forced to obey. Their strength rivals that of gods, But do not let them lead you astray. We spread hope of their destruction, […]
  • Schools are different here
    I’m Maysa, that I think it’s important to know about me that I like to draw and I like to read books and write stories sometimes. My family is Arab. I learned in Yemen and […]
  • Redheads vs. The Sun
    All over tropical vacation spots, redheads are applying their one hundred sunblock, though this is true, scientists have researched why redheads burn easily and it is all because of their genetic makeup. Vacationing is meant […]
  • How Will Bees Be Used With The New Discovery?
    In the article, “These Bees Can Smell Covid”, (New York Times, Upfront) I learned that bees can smell COVID and is the new development to use as a Covid-19 test. A team of researchers from […]
  • When I pray, I feel safer and more peaceful
    I am Albara. and I am from Yemen. I am Yemeni. I was born in Yemen, and I lived in the city of Ibb in the neighborhood named Awad.  I enjoyed Islamic school because I […]
  • Five Brothers and One Sister
    Hi my name is Estrella, and it’s important to know that I am a shy person. I am half Mexican and half American. My parents are from Mexico, but I was born in the USA. […]

How to do this, step-by-step:

When you have completed your recorded bio, you are ready to post your bio in as a discussion on Youth Voices.

Steps for Creating a Discussion:

1. On the Youth Voices homepage, hover over Member’s Wall. A dropdown menu will appear.
  2. Click on “Create a Discussion.” A new tab will open up.
  3. Click your cursor where you see the words “Add Title.”
  4. Title the Discussion Post– Make it a short, clever, unique, attention-grabbing title about your bio.
  5. Copy your bio & paste it in the Paragraph block where it says Start writing or type / to choose a block.
  6. Add a new block above your text.
  7. Click the black square with a white plus sign. A drop down menu will appear.
  8. In the search bar, type the word “audio.”
  9. Locate the music note icon that has the word “audio” underneath it. Click on the icon. An audio block will appear next to your written bio.
  10. Click on the blue rectangular button that says “upload.” A Window will pop up for you to select your file.
  11. Your audio file will upload onto the post.
  12. Move your cursor to the column on the right.
  13. Click on Post.
  14. Scroll down until you come to “Categories.” Click on Categories and more options will appear.
  15. Type the word(s) “bio” or “getting started” or “journalist bio” or another category that fits your work. Check the box.
  16. Click the category “showcase.” 
  17. Underneath Categories, you will see Tags. Add your school’s tag (LUTE – STEM) You have to type the whole name of your school or wait for it to pop up
  18. Underneath Tags and Series, you will see Featured Image. Click on Feature image.
  19. Click on the Gray Square Box labeled “Set Featured Image.” Use a search term and find and select an image. Choose one of the three tabs:
    1. Upload files  (Download a Creative Commons image to your desktop, and upload it as a Featured Image.)
    2. Media Library (Choose an image and insert it as a Featured Image.)
    3. Instant Images ((Choose an image and insert it as a Featured Image.)

You must add a Featured Image or your post will not be published — even though it may appear published to you.

20. In the upper right-hand corner, click on Publish > Publish (or Update).

NOTE that the Checklist strongly recommends that you have the following before you publish:

• Between 2 and 10 categories
  • Between 2 and 10 tags
  • Featured image

Watch this video for help with how to create a discussion post:

YouTube Tutorials for creating discussions on Youth Voices

When you finish creating a multimodal discussion post about yourself, write a status update where you reflect on how you used one or two of these Habits of Mind to complete this work. How is your work evidence of your ability to use these Habits of Mind?

Bookmark and Reflect on the Habits of Mind You Used While Completing All the Activities in this Playlist.

Go to your the the activity stream on your Youth Voices wall and bookmark two or three of the Habits of Mind reflections that you wrote at the end of each activity. Once bookmarked, add a comment to each earlier update post saying why this was a meaningful experience for you.

Anti-Racist Books Portfolio Kevin – Portfolio Drew’s PORTFOLIO Ocean’s Portfolio Luis – Portfolio