The hot topic of the human race’s impact on the Earth is our endless litter found in the water ways, though this is one major impact it is not the only. With human being’s extravagant use of carbon we are altering the ocean’s PH, making it more acidic and affecting the lives of sea creatures; “shells of mollusks dissolve … , coral reefs die, … the sea floor becomes a desert.” (Brayton) Humans are also taking advantage of the fish, overfishing the oceans causing the collapse of ecosystems. It is our duty to strive for sustainability and move away from our destructive ways.

Brayton, Dan. “Writ in Water: Far Tortuga and the Crisis of the Marine Environment.” Contemporary Literary Criticism, edited by Lawrence J. Trudeau, vol. 395, Gale, 2016. Literature Resource Center, go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=LitRC&sw=w&u=salt89600&v=2.1&id=GALE%7CH1100121506&it=r&asid=9af96a903774caa1073b23968ce910db. Accessed 13 Feb. 2017. Originally published in PMLA, vol. 127, no. 3, 2012, pp. 565-571.

Mimi
February 14, 2017 8:17 pm

Annika I think this topic is really cool. Lots of people know about the pollution of our atmosphere but not many people think about it’s effects on the ocean. Good job!

Andreas
February 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Word! The ocean is in serious trouble and it’s all our fault. There is an entire world under the sea and we are ruining it. The ocean is so important to earth and if we destroy it I don’t think mother nature will be too happy. Don’t quote me on this but my aunt told be about how mass fish farming is pumping tons of icky chemicals into the ocean. I don’t know if you need it but it’s something else that could support your argument.

2
0
()