I believe that Earth is becoming extremely overpopulated, and due to that, we  will experience many issues in the future such as pollution, running out of natural resources. The only way to solve this issue is to educate people in sex education and enviromental conservatoin.

According to the EPA, “landfills are the third-largest source of human-related methane emissions in the United States, accounting for approximately 15.1 percent of these emissions in 2019” (EPA 2021). 250 million tons of waste are produced every year by the United States alone (Leahy 2018). This unimaginable amount of waste does horrors to our planet. Landfills, polluted rivers, and entire islands made completely out of trash are a commonplace in our society. Around 8 million individual pieces of plastic make their way into our oceans every year. This devastating amount of plastic has horrifying effects on wildlife. 100% of baby sea turtles have plastic in their stomachs, 100,000 marine animals die from plastic every year, and 1 in 3 fish caught contain plastic. (Condor 2021). All of these statistics are recent, with our population at around 7.9 billion people. However, by the year 2100 our population will be around 10.9 billion (Brown 2021). As cities continue to grow, so do our emissions. In the US in the year 1800, our emission levels were 0.04 tons per year. Now, in 2021, they are at 14.24 tons per year. (Ritchie 2021) Based on statistics these numbers will only continue to increase.

By the year 2040, the world will most likely be completely drained of its natural resources. According to Gaya Herrington, a sustainability researcher, if the world’s population and consumption of natural resources continues to increase, these resources will run out very soon. (Jerusalem Post 2021). Oxygen, water, trees, soil, plants, fossil fuel, and animals are only a few examples of what will disappear as the population continues to grow and people are using up these valuable resources.  

In order to solve these devastating effects of overpopulation, I believe that giving people proper sex education to avoid unwanted pregnancies, which only increases our population is necessary. 45% of pregnancies in the US are unwanted (Weese 2018), but making sure people know how to have save sex and have accessibility to birth control and other medications such as Plan B can insure that our population will increase at a much more steady rate. 

BROWN?

CondorFerries. “100+ Plastic in the Ocean Statistics & Facts (2020-2021).” Condor Ferries, https://www.condorferries.co.uk/plastic-in-the-ocean-statistics.

EPA, Environmental Protection Agency, https://www.epa.gov/lmop/basic-information-about-landfill-gas.

“World Natural Resources May Run out by 2040 – Study.” The Jerusalem Post | JPost.com, https://www.jpost.com/health-science/world-natural-resources-may-run-out-by-2040-study-674844.

RITCHIE?

Weese, Karen. “Perspective | Almost Half of Pregnancies in the U.S. Are Unplanned. There’s a Surprisingly Easy Way to Change That.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 28 Oct. 2021, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/05/01/almost-half-of-pregnancies-in-the-u-s-are-unplanned-theres-a-surprisingly-easy-way-to-change-that/.

January 31, 2022 7:05 am

Dear Atticus:
I am intrigued by your post “Overpopulation,” because the population needs to see the crisis that we are in. There are too many people in America and we need to control this as this is also causing lots of harm to our planet.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “By the year 2040, the world will most likely be completely drained of its natural resources. ” I think this is sad to hear because we should be taking care of our planet, not polluting it. With the number of people in our population, we should be controlling it and teaching people about how much pollution there is on our earth.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you write about very interesting topics. You also use many sources to back up your ideas and views. 
Vivianne

January 27, 2022 5:14 pm

Dear Atticus:

I am impressed by your post, “Overpopulation,” because it is horrifying how Landfills, polluted rivers, and entire islands are made completely out of trash are a common place in our society. As ypu stated the Earth is becoming extremely overpopulated, and due to that, we will experience many issues in the future such as pollution, running out of natural resources. I think we as a society should put an end to this.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “In order to solve these devastating effects of overpopulation, I believe that giving people proper sex education to avoid unwanted pregnancies, which only increases our population is necessary.” I think this is awesome because sometimes people or teens don’t know what they are doing and educating them can really make a change.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.

Jannette

December 9, 2021 8:37 pm

I really liked some of the points that you brought up in your post! I agree with you that the Earth is extremely overpopulated right now. If you think about it, there are over almost one and a half billion people that live in China and that is in just one country. It is very alarming how much waste and trash are out in the oceans, and I find it very sad that there is so much plastic that has been ingested by wildlife. I fear for the coming future when there will be so many people in the world that we use up all of the resources.

Mynor
December 3, 2021 4:29 am

I completely agree with you Atticus about that the earth is becoming overpopulated because of all of the pollution. I truly think the way to stop overpopulation is to properly educate people about the dangers and how tow do it safely.

4
0
()