woman in white dress shirt and black pants wearing black sunglasses

Being insecure about looks or identity can cause people to take their insecurities out on others by putting them down. Habits of people who are insecure include: criticizing others, never saying no, asking for reassurance, passive-aggressive communication, and excessive positivity (Wignall). Everyone becomes insecure every now and then, but if insecurity does start to cause “major stress in your life” or these habits are becoming out of control, there are ways to overcome the insecurities and become “more secure with yourself” (7 Summit Pathways).

You can “balance negative thoughts with positive ones” by coming up with a positive thought every time you have a negative one. Another way to become more secure is to “question your negative perceptions”. When you have negative thoughts about yourself, check to see if that thought is actually true. You may think that you look a certain way or act a certain way that you dislike, but is there “factual evidence for those perceptions?” You can also work on forgiving yourself because you are a human being and every human makes mistakes. You should not beat yourself up over a simple error. Instead look at the mistake as a learning area and move past it (7 Summit Pathways). 

Finally, you can “get support from others”. Friends and family can give you the reassurance you need in your life that can help you to get past the insecurity. If their “outside perspective” and reassurance is not enough to help you and the insecurity becomes too much of a burden in your daily life, you should consider reaching out to a “mental health professional” (7 Summit Pathways). If you do not think professional help is necessary, you may want to consider joining a support group that also struggles with insecurities. Having positive allies during the process of becoming secure could be just the thing you need to overcome the insecurities (Goldsmith). You can turn insecurities from weaknesses into strengths by overcoming them. 

Goldsmith, Barton. “10 Ways to Feel More Secure in an Insecure World.” Psychology Today, Sussex Publishers, 18 Mar. 2013, www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/emotional-fitness/201303/10-ways-feel-more-secure-in-insecure-world.

Wignall, Nick. “5 Habits of Highly Insecure People.” Nick Wignall, Nuthymia LLC, 20 Sept. 2020, nickwignall.com/5-habits-of-highly-insecure-people/.

7 Summit Pathways. “How to Be More Secure With Yourself: How to Overcome Insecurity.” 7 Summit Pathways, 7 Summit Pathways , 11 Oct. 2019, 7summitpathways.com/blog/secure-with-yourself/.

1. Anastasia 1 month ago

Paige,

I really loved this post. A lot of women struggle with insecurities and I think this is an amazing way to show them that they are not alone. I love how you said to balance your negative thoughts with positive ones. This takes practice and time. But if you really work on it, it does help a lot. I also love how you said to check and see if what you say about yourself is actually true. I think a lot of young women (including myself) go on social media and say “oh im not good enough” or “im not pretty” ect. I think that if you are happy with your body and image then that’s all that matters.

2. Brooke 1 month ago

Paige,
    Your post interested me because insecurity is something that young women our age are faced with daily, and it is something that is not addressed enough. I enjoyed that you addressed solutions to insecurity in your post. One thing you said that stood out to me was that “family and friends can give you the reassurance you need in your life that can help you get past the insecurity.” This stood out to me because people often don’t reach out for help because of their insecurities. This is so important because it is a necessary step of the healing process. This post reminds me of times when I scroll through social media and compare myself to others. While I wouldn’t consider myself insecure, these moments of insecurity are difficult to get past, and it is important to be there for those who experience insecurity more often. This post was very enlightening and should be shared with those that are in need of help. I thoroughly enjoyed your post, and I look forward to your next post, as it will likely be a necessary topic relevant to the times.

3. Mary 1 month ago

Paige,
    I decided to read your post because I saw it was about insecurities and I feel like that is something we all struggle with daily, especially as teenagers. I love how you first described the effects of insecurities on our daily lives and then introduced many ways to counteract these effects. I feel like we have all projected our insecurities on others at some point in our lives, and this post is super helpful in being able to recognize when we do this and how to fix it. Thank you for addressing an issue we all face!

4. Kaileigh 1 month ago

Paige,
    I loved loved loved your post on insecurities in individuals’ daily lives. So many people in today’s world are filled with insecurities but believe they are alone in their feelings. Your acknowledgement of this idea, as well as your list of specific ways to overcome insecurities is very helpful for all individuals, but especially for the teens who will view your post. Thank you for making a relevant most for the youth in today’s world, and I cannot wait to see what else you write about!

5. Lydia 1 month ago

Paige,
    I really enjoyed the topic you choose to reflect on because I feel it is a current issue occurring in our generation today. I liked how you listed out the certain methods and resources on how to overcome your insecurities and how to be more confident as the person you are. I really enjoyed the part of how you mentioned that if individuals aren’t comfortable with talking to a mental health professional that they should consider joining a support group. Especially in our day today a lot of individuals around the certain age and similarities have insecurities, so I think them talking together would really help break the stigma.

6. Molly 1 month ago

Paige,
    I agree with your analysis of the impact of insecurity of people’s daily lives. I like how you mentioned specific examples of ways to overcome insecurity and anxiety. I really like how you said, “there are ways to overcome the insecurities and become more secure with yourself.” This quote provided the reader with an insight as to what the paper is going to discuss. I also think that the evidence that you used is necessary and adds to your argument. I like that you stressed the importance of changing your attitude when faced with insecurity and turning the situation into a positive one.

7. Anna 1 month ago

Paige,
    Your post intrigued me because I believe most people our age struggle with insecurities and I think it is good to talk about our struggles as society usually wants us to keep them hidden. I really liked the line “reassurance in your life that can help you get past your insecurity” because to me this statement is true. Reassurance from others and having someone to tell about your feelings helps someone not bottle up their emotions and be overwhelmed by stress. This post reminds me of myself because sometimes I have a hard time talking about my emotions and this helped to remind me that I should. I really enjoyed your article and I hope to see more from you in the future.