When watching the 1619 Project episodes 2 and 5 I felt a mix of emotions. I was upset, sad, and just overall shocked in a way. I’ve heard many stories about black trauma and though it is a harsh topic to talk about, we need to be heard. Even though it isn’t talked about as much as it should be, Nikole Hannah-Jones took a big step. She made the effort to make herself and others heard. Gave them an opportunity to tell their story.

The story of Chrissy Sample stuck out to me. During covid Ms. Sample was pregnant with twins and she felt immobolized by the pain she was having. The doctor that she saw regularly told her that what she was feeling was normal .When listening to her you see that she was one of many black women and experienced trauma. She went to see a high-risk obesetrician but had to wait until late March to get an appointment. After the physician did a thorough examination Chrissy was told that one her babies die, and that it could’ve been prevented earlier.

Black women face different risks due to their health because of discrimination. From health professionals that don’t take the things that they mention seriously enough. Ms. Sample’s story gives just a portion of insight on how Black Women are treated in today’s society.Whether or not they are in the Workplace, Healthcare, etc. We just wonder when it will stop.

March 24, 2023 6:47 pm

Aniyah, your piece is very informative and well-written. It is horrible what happens in the medical realm for black people, and doctors often not believing their pain or symptoms. What happened to Chrissy was just awful, and hearing that her baby could have survived is heartbreaking. This is a very messed up topic people don’t take seriously enough. And as you said, Nikole Hannah-Jones’ work in the 1619 project is a very important part of helping people tell their stories that need to be heard. Thank you for writing this.

March 23, 2023 7:07 pm

I like your piece a lot, how could we change the kinds of doctors women of color get?

Ayman
March 23, 2023 12:19 am

I very much like your title and choice of audio

March 22, 2023 11:18 pm

After mentioning the way Chrissy Sample lost one of her twins due to unfair treatment from doctors, how do you think they should evaluate or determine what kinds of doctors African-American women get?

4
0
()