Empathy is something that each human possesses, but we each have different amounts of it. Empathy is this quality that allows us to truly feel for another person and act on how others feel. Whether we have fully unlocked the ability to be able to put ourselves in other’s shoes or we struggle to see others’ points of view, this affects how you treat others in everyday relationships. Empathy also gives us this gift of understanding the struggles of others even if we may not know them personally.

Think of Covid-19, during this time there many Americans that are high risk and only go out when absolutely necessary. There are others who only think of themselves and know that this may not be a big deal to them, so they continue to go out. We must use our empathy to see how this may affect others, “And that’s important to think about them as clearly as you think about yourself and protecting them” (Alda 1). Looking at the world around us can really open up our eyes to other views.

From personal experience, I had a family member get Covid- 19, and I couldn’t help but think to myself how this is my fault. I remembered all the times I pulled my mask down or didn’t wash my hands after entering a store.

Whether you believe in the significance of it or not, we can learn how to blend well with others because the world is filled with events that always involve public opinion and division when it comes to your personal standpoint on these events, “Most of us are surrounded by people who look like us, vote like us, earn like us, spend money like us, have educations like us and worship like us. The result is an empathy deficit, and it’s at the root of many of our biggest problems” (Jacob 1).

We can use our empathy to see perspectives and truly understand why someone feels that way. It may not make sense to us, but this allows us to grow as human beings and better a society where we work in harmony. In this beautiful statement, “There are many benefits of being an empath. On the bright side, empaths tend to be excellent friends. They are superb listeners. They consistently show up for friends in times of need. They are big-hearted and generous. Empaths also tend to be highly intuitive and emotionally intelligent.” (Firestone 1). This shows being empathic also benefits those around us.

I never thought of how I use my empathy, truly impacts society. This is a real learning experience to use to better our society, especially during this troubling time of Covid-19 and the future ahead.