First Passage Paraphrase

Desdemona (1.3.208-218)

Father

This is very hard for me as I am torn between two duties

You gave me education and life, and I owe you for that

You gave me everything I have

I respect you very much for that

I must obey you cause I am your daughter, but this is my husband

I owe just as much as my mother owed you

She chose you over her own father

So I must also give my obedience

To my Moor

First Passage Analysis

In this section of the play, Brabantio asked who Desdemona obeyed in her life: her father or her husband. She responded with this short monologue where she basically says that although she respects everything her father has done for her, she has pledged her love to her lover. She reminds her father that her mother did this for him, and left her father behind just as she is doing now., which she portrays in this quote: “And so much duty as my mother show’d to you, preferring you before her father.” (1.3.215-216).  A literary device that she uses in this passage is probably the imagery of her mother leaving her own father to explain what she is doing now.

Second Passage Paraphrase

Duke (1.3.229-240)

Let me give reference to a saying

That will help these lovers

To be forgiven by you;

If you are unable to change something, do not dwell on it

When you lament about something that happened in the past

You only set yourself up to be more upset

A robbery victim can be greater than his robber if he can smile about it in the end

There is no point in wasting time being mournful over it

Second Passage Analysis

This passage almost directly the previous short monologue given by Desdemona, where he attempts to use a few proverbs and metaphors in an attempt to defend these two lovers. His general message was that there is no point in crying over things that have already happened, which is best displayed by the quote, “When remedies are past, the griefs are ended.” (1.3.232). His most prominent literary device used during this section is the metaphor involving the robber, where he says that a person being robbed should not dwell on his items lost, just as Desdemona’s father should not be concerned that he has lost control of his daughter’s life.

0
()