The state of Utah has received ample funding and grants to improve our homeless crisis. In 2023, Salt Lake spent 83% of their allocated budget on hiring new police officers to combat the crime that is associated and caused by homelessness, while only hiring two new resource officers that work with the VOA in order to assist the homeless population. The biggest takeaway from Davidson was that each individual has a story. We must stop treating homeless individuals as criminals, shoving police in their faces, and treat them with compassion, offering them resources and assistance. Currently, 5% of our state’s $8.9 million grant was going towards social welfare services, and only 4% was going towards communities and community intervention. The remaining 91% went towards law enforcement and security.

0
()