Article 1: Big Government Undermines Freedom and Prosperity

• Claim: More government control on the economy through taxes compromises the ideals of a free market while giving the rich an unfair disadvantage.
  • Evidence / Justification: Wealthy entrepreneurs create jobs for people. Higher taxes prompt people to hide their money. Many charities and nonprofits are funded by wealthy people.  ‘

Article 2: Big Government Protects Freedom and Prosperity

• Claim: Big government is a benefit since it is the government’s job to protect our rights and ensure we live safe happy lives.
  • Evidence / Justification: The establishment of the New Deal by Franklin Roosevelt was a huge benefit to American society by introducing reforms like Social Security. Decreased regulation on big businesses preceded economic disasters like the Great Depression. Big government wouldn’t and shouldn’t be used for the sake of big government but should be increased and limited depending on how greedy big businesses get.

My Opinion: I agree with the second article most because no extreme of big government is ideal. Complete government control over the economy could make the US as poor as Russia in the late 1900’s or no government control over the economy could take us back to the Great Depression.

Transition Sentences

1. For example, a laxed government hand on the economy led to the Great Depression in the early 1900’s.
  2. As has been noted, government regulation benefits society and ensures the economic rights of its citizens.
  3. Evidently, the introduction of social reforms like Social Security in Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal greatly helped stabilize the American economy.. 

Concessive Clauses

1. Although big government can have ill-effects on the economy, the extreme of no government control on the economy is even worse.
  2. Even though big government can provide freedom and prosperity, too much government control on an economy can waste it away to nothing. 
  3. Although these instances do hold some truth, a broader perspective on the issues shows that big government protects more freedom in the economic market than it hinders.

Michael
November 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Josh, I loved how articulate and substantial your claim was. I liked how you utilized two articles, both clear and concise. It was good to concede some points and acknowledge the validity of other arguments. Your argument was well-grounded and coherent. Thanks for taking the time to compare opposing viewpoints and articulate which is better in your view.

Michael Stokes
Michael Stokes
November 11, 2019 4:00 pm

2
0
()