To Whom it Should Concern:

Why do people have to have so many expectations for women? 

We are told growing up we have to look a certain way act a certain way and can’t do things men do because we are women and not able to or if we do we are too manly. According to society we are meant for cooking and cleaning and listening to the men in our lives and doing things for them. This makes boys think they can treat us bad and that they can tell us what to do when it shouldn’t be like that, we should be able to be independent and we are able to do jobs just as good as men and we aren’t weak just because we are girls. Many girls feel insecure or are too afraid to be the way they want to be because they will be judged.

Another big issue is everyone thinking that because a girl dresses more revealing that she doesn’t respect herself or that she wants guys to look at her or get at her. Women don’t dress for other people it is because we feel confident and pretty and we shouldn’t have to feel scared that dressing the way we want will attract men and will make them think we are asking for it because it is not consent just by a girl being confident in her body. There are many times where I have seen online people saying that girls ask for whatever happens to them just because they dress more revealing, we should not be blamed for what a guy does without consent. I have even seen girls put down other girls saying it is their fault too and a girl to another girl should be more understanding. Many women are fighting for us to get the rights we deserve and not being blamed for another mans actions and us girls need to work together and not put each other down like some girls do because it can happen to any of us and we need to all work together so it can stop. We should not have to worry about what will happen if we walk out the house in the clothes we feel good in. We need to work all work together so this can stop and teach all the kids now how to treat women and that we are not just objects so that in the future this is not an issue. 

Another thing is women being judged and called murderers for getting an abortion. There are a lot of people who protest in front of abortion clinics screaming at the women going in and it is wrong a women should not be attacked because she chooses to not have a baby. Some women don’t have money and can not provide for a baby or they know they are not mentally stable and will not take good care of a baby so they choose to get an abortion and it is a good thing that can help many kids from being in bad homes. Many people argue that it is wrong and murder and that they should just put the baby for adoption but there are already a lot of kids in the system and there are a lot of foster parents who abuse the kids and a lot of them live bad lives going from home to home. Women should not be told they are wrong because of what they choose not everyone is ready for a baby. Another reason a women might want to get an abortion is because they get pregnant from rape and recently there were a lot of protests about women being in the wrong for getting an abortion after rape no matter the age. It is wrong and a women does not want to have a baby that was made from rape because it can remind them about what happened and it can be very tramatizing. In some places it became illegal for it and a lot of the government was on all the rapists sides and not sending them to jail but sending the girl to jail if she tries to get an abortion in another state or if she tries to do it herself. It is very sad that the government would rather send the victim to jail and not the person who was actually in the wrong. Other men should not have the right to tell us what to do with our bodies.

I hope that in the future we get to do what we want with ourselves and our bodies without being judged or told we are horrible people because what we choose to do. We need to teach the kids now what is wrong and how to treat other people so in the future no women or even men have to feel like what they chose to do with themselves is not right. We also need to teach the little boys that it is okay to be nice to women and to show feelings because there are a lot of men with toxic masculinity and it makes them think they can be the way that they are to women.

February 1, 2021 5:12 pm

Dear Giselle,

I very much agree with your post,”Open Letter for Women’s Rights”, as it discusses the societal stereotypes and expectations that are expected upon women. A lot of women deal with insecurities and finding their true identity and I can say that societal stereotypes and expectations are a great part of that.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me is, “I hope that in the future we get to do what we want with ourselves and our bodies without being judged or told we are horrible people because what we choose to do.” The phrase ““I hope that in the future we get to do what we want with ourselves and our bodies…” is saddening because we women rightfully do have the ability to do what we want with our life and our bodies but feel as if we can’t because of societal expectations.

Thank you for this writing. I look forward to what your next writing is, because you bring up issues that need to be addressed more often. I would like you to continue writing about women stereotypes and expectations and how it greatly affects them.

Aaliyah

January 8, 2021 4:59 am

Societal norms that are pushed upon people are always going to be unrealistic and unobtainable. I really do not know why, despite being so seemingly widely understood, it still persists to be the case. Young women are constantly battling against the pressure of their surroundings. All of this and I haven’t even touched on the fact that they have to battle for their reproductive rights as if it is ok for some law to control what they can or can’t do with their own body. I truly loved your take on all of these issues.

elena
January 5, 2021 8:53 pm

I think all of your points are completely valid. Society has set so many expectations for women that are impossible to meet. These include the impossible expectations that we set for ourselves due to society’s influence. Although more people are starting to become more aware there is still so much to do. I think another “expectation” that needs to be changed is the idea that a woman cannot be considered happy, content or successful if they are unmarried and have no children. I cannot remember a time in my life where there was no expectation pushed on me to get married and have kids. I can’t understand why society will not recognize that single women can be equally happy, successful and content as women who are married and have a family. We need to be supportive of all women and their choices because they are just that; THEIR choices, not society’s.

January 5, 2021 4:12 pm

Hi Giselle,

Women’s rights is a really prevalent issue in society today, and I feel like it gets pushed to the side many times, and I am glad that you have brought it up. Women are an essential part of society who deserve the respect, and we have not received that in a while. This topic is important to me because it affects my day to day life and my mom, friends, and sisters as well. You talked about how women have a lot of pressure on them, especially when it comes to dressing codes, and I agree. I see how many dress codes in school specifically point out things that girls can not wear, but fail to mention anything about boys. Dress codes hold many girls back from being themselves but also instills a false narrative in their minds that they need to tend to the needs of men.

January 5, 2021 4:06 pm

Right as I started to read your letter, I deeply related with the sentence “Why do people have to have so many expectations for women?” And it’s true. Women are scrutinized in every single aspect of their life, and there seems to be only one mold of a woman that society finds acceptable. Although we are growing our perception of what women can do, I still feel like there is a stigma around independent women. For example, if a man doesn’t want to have a child it is fine to say, but when a woman says the same thing she is met with “Oh, you will change your mind in a few years” or “You will regret that decision for the rest of your life.” Not all women want to pursue things like raising a child, and this should be accepted in society not looked down upon.

October 14, 2020 5:41 am

Women’s rights are a more critical issue now more than ever. With the recent death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, there’s a lot of political influence at stake, even the possible overturn of Roe v. Wade which protected abortion. Given all these factors, are you hopeful for the future? I’m interested to hear it from the perspective of a woman.

Diana
August 24, 2020 2:56 am

Dear Giselle,
I am moved by reading your letter, “Open Letter for Women’s Rights,” because as a young woman myself, I can agree with a lot of what was stated here. Women are expected to fit the traditional stereotype of what society thinks a woman should do and be like.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “According to society we are meant for cooking and cleaning and listening to the men in our lives and doing things for them.” I think this is quite true because today’s world is full of patriarchy. Not many men care to think what women go through or what their opinions are on certain topics. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you write some real insightful things, which I think many of us can relate too.
From, Diana Zuniga

Marisol
March 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Dear Giselle,
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “I hope that in the future we get to do what we want with ourselves and our bodies without being judged or told we are horrible people because what we choose to do”. I think this is important because it is the sad truth. Although it is our body women always get brought down for doing certain things that others don’t agree with. We could only hope things would change and we are able to live without judgment for doing things that should only concern us.

OCHS

February 19, 2020 2:15 am

Giselle,
I like what points you are bringing up in your letter. I think it is so weird how the world can skew different meanings in force people into doing things they don’t want to. Such as controlling your body there should be no rule or regulation on a person’s body because that makes us mere slave owners. And that is why we went to war so you wouldn’t govern another person’s body and doing that just takes away all of our rights and with no rights that how can we have a just society.

February 18, 2020 9:06 pm

Hello Giselle.
Being a young woman, I have encountered most of the issues presented here. Growing up in a Latin based culture women are always judge based on what they do. My mom would always use “that’s not ladylike” and i would try to change what i was doing but never understood. Now i think it is so incredibly important to support each other not tear themselves down.

Amani
February 16, 2020 4:42 am

Giselle,
I enjoyed everything, I feel like you made really good points on all the topics you talked about. I personally agree with what you said about how women are judged based on what they wear and even act. Growing up I would always see and hear that women had to stay home and take car of the kids. I even would see girls telling other girls to dress more decent because if they didn’t they would get called names. I feel like in these times we need to help and support women and let them be who they want to be. We shouldn’t be holding women back we should be supporting them in their jobs and studies, regardless of what men and society think.

11
0
()