Even after 40 years in the teaching business, I have a great deal to learn.  As I work on my online teaching skills, I realize that there need to be some significant shifts in my habits of mind. I want to focus on the following three habits: persisting, managing impulsivity, and thinking/communicating with clarity and precision.  All three will allow me to be a more effective instructional designer.  I have to be willing to engage in a productive struggle in order to enhance my pedagogical technological content knowledge.  I also have to avoid my natural tendency to move too quickly and then to have to re-do. If I was a bit more precise about what it was that I wanted and needed to accomplish, I would save precious time!

Branden
July 12, 2022 8:56 pm

Dear Niki,

Thank you for being open and honest. Learning is a life long experience and I believe that if we are willing and continue to learn we will always grow. I like that you said ” I have to be willing to engage in a productive struggle in order to enhance my pedagogical technology content knowledge”. Some people do not see struggle have productive. They see it as negative. If they change their viewpoint about struggling they may change the outcome. If anyone is doing something for the first time it will be a struggle at first, but if they have a made up mind and do not quit they will succeed. There is a saying that says ” you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”. I say ” you can teach an old dog new tricks as long as they are willing to learn”. Thank you for sharing. I am looking forward to the next article.

1
0
()