Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen of the court. My name is Carlos, and I stand before you representing the United States of America. Growing up in Garden Heights, I developed a deep love for my community—a community I now strive to protect and serve. However, recent events have shaken me to my core.

When I learned of the actions of Officer 1-15, my heart sank. As a member of this community, I felt a mix of emotions—heartbreak, anger, and empathy for all those affected, including Officer 1-15’s family, friends, and my niece Starr.

Yet, amidst these emotions, we cannot ignore the larger issue at hand. It has become painfully evident that there is a pattern of injustice within our law enforcement system. Communities of color, like Garden Heights, are disproportionately affected by police violence, arrests, and harassment.

While it’s true that sometimes our communities react in extreme ways, we must acknowledge that the root cause lies in the unjust treatment we endure. Yes, there are instances where arrests are necessary to maintain safety and order. However, far too often, these actions are unjustified and perpetuate the cycle of inequality and distrust.

Our legal system should be a beacon of fairness and equality for all, regardless of race or background. It’s time to address these systemic issues and strive for a more just society—a society where everyone, including those in impoverished neighborhoods, can feel safe and respected by law enforcement.

Thank you.

0
()