Teresa
Teresa
May 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Dear Juan,
I am currently a student at San Jose State. I enjoyed reading about the history of Oakland. Everything was new to me, I didn’t know that it went from the Ohlone to the Peraltas. I understand that history and tradition is very important and must not be forgotten. When it is forgotten, people don’t know where they come from. Reading your post, it makes me want to research the history of San Jose.

John Ke
April 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Hello Juan,
I am a student from SJSU.
I feel that your post has a lot of research about the history of Oakland. As someone who has a sister going to school there in Berkeley it connected with me.
When you say that “Oakland residents need to know more about the history of their own land” I wondered about the basis for your argument. How do you know that Oakland residents do not know about this history?
I find it interesting you did not mention how Oakland got its name. Oakland was derived from the oak trees it has. Splendid isn’t it? A land of oak. This one who chose this name was Horace W. Carpenter, an owner of a ferry service that brought him there to Oakland in the first place.
Thank you so much for the time you spent writing this piece.
I enjoyed it.

Stephanie Ullman
Stephanie Ullman
March 15, 2020 10:06 pm

Juan,
As an Oakland teacher who was born and raised in Chicago, I really appreciated how much I learned from your piece. I did not know about how the Ohlone land was taken away from them by the Peraltas. At one point in your article, you made a connection to the decline in Oakland’s African American population. I was wondering what you thought the connection might be between the Peraltas and the present-day loss of land? I would love to hear more of your thoughts, either in a response or a future blog post!
Thank you,
Stephanie

Erica Hodgin
Erica Hodgin
March 11, 2020 3:44 am

Juan,
Thank you for sharing everything that you learned about the history of Oakland the various groups of people who have lived here throughout history. It looks like you have consulted a number of sources. I’m wondering what you think schools or the city can do to help people learn this history. What action steps would you recommend? And how might people from these Native tribes be central to telling their own story?
Best,
Erica

4
0
()