The issue of nursing home abuse is not a new one. Reports of serious abuse have been around for over a decade, yet still there is not much awareness about it. Vulnerable nursing home patients are subjected to all kinds of abuse, ranging from physical, to financial, to even sexual abuse. Nursing home facilities are not up to the necessary standards. Patients are exposed to life threatening illnesses, and unfortunately, the government does not seem to care.

I am passionate about this issue because there is no reason why ill elderly individuals, who are practically helpless, should be subjected to abuse. Nursing homes do not provide services to people for free, which is all the more reason why it is ridiculous that this abuse is occurring. To add on, people are often more concerned with controversial issues, or issues that only affect them. I think it is equally important to care about and raise concerns about issues that don’t directly affect us.

Before this project, I knew very vague things about the issue. I knew that there was physical and psychological abuse occurring, but not sexual and financial abuse. I also knew that the nursing homes are not in good condition. However, after this project, I now know that patients are exposed to life threatening illnesses and I also now know about the different kinds of abuse they face. I am also now informed that the issue is all across the US, and that most people underestimate the abuse that occurs.

0
()