In the article, “The White House” (January 19, 2017) I learned how impactful tragic events can be. The writer President Obama writes about different and consistent mass shootings happening one after the other causing him to speak up about gun violence. He talked about 3 mass shootings that had happened in the span of 2 years. This showed Obama how bad the gun violence was and needed to take action quickly before people thought it was okay to be doing such harsh things. He also writes about his plan to decrease gun violence. Which provided information on how we can come together to make the plan work. The President had inputs from citizens and organizations with a wide range of concerns, perspectives, and opinions. He included people’s opinions to show the different experiences and also he felt that people would take action in this plan if they heard real life stories. President Obama felt the need to speak in order to see change.

President Barack Obama had different parts in order to achieve this goal, which is why “Why Now” talks about the purpose of starting this plan and wanting a change. Next is the “Working Together” section talking about how everyone can take a part in this change. Lastly is “The Plan” section which shows the steps in order to decrease gun violence and rule/laws being ordered. 

As I continue to learn about gun violence and the effect I want to know if Obama’s plan helped decrease the number of gun violence and if those policies were actually helpful. 

0
()