man and woman sitting on chairs

This article talks about how getting rid of CRT leads to conversations about racism and race gets cut. My main focus for week 4 was to talk about the effects of Critical Race Theory within schools and what happens when it gets taken out. In this article we see a lot of students come forward and say they feel as if it is their responsibility to teach their peers instead of having the teachers teach it. They also mention teachers in the articles saying how they want to have open conversations and go more into depth about Systemic Racism and other types but they cannot since they are banned. “Iowa’s law says teachers can’t describe the U.S. or the state as “systemically racist or sexist,” though schools can teach about racist or sexist policies. In Texas, teachers who discuss a “widely debated and currently controversial issue” must do so “objectively and in a manner free from political bias.”

This article shows how critical it is to have students learn about these kinds of things or else they will feel an erasure of their identity. I hope that CRT keeps pushing and stays in place so students can learn about everything that is going on and how it is bigger picture to all of this.

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2021/12/17/22840317/crt-laws-classroom-discussion-racism

0
()