Tom is a dynamic character. His archetype changes over the course of the play. At the beginning of the play, he is the honest man. This can be seen on the third scene in lines 32 it says; “TOM: House, house! Who pays rent on it, who makes a slave of himself to – .”

But in the third scene in line 48, Tom has begun to transform into the black sheep. This shows in the description where his mother and he are facing problems about it.  In the third scene in lines 48 it says; “TOM: What do you think I’m at? Aren’t I supposed to have any patience to reach the end of, Mother? I know, I know. It seems unimportant to you, what I’m doing – what I want to do – having a little difference between them! You don’t think that -.”

Tom is no longer the person who is described in the earlier scenes. He changed his perspective based on the pleasures that he likes.

A reader will recognize that the turning point for Tom comes when he notices that his life is unhappy. He describes in the conversation that he has with his mother on the climax of this play. . In scene five in lines 119 it says; “TOM: Then how did you happen to make a tragic mistake!.”

0
()