Minding her own business, little Vivian walks down the stairs in her J.C. Penny sweater. But-oh no! She bumps into the ferocious monster known as the average fourth grader. The creature stares her down and growls a terrible one-liner. No, like an actually terrible one-liner.

“No one cares about you!” That’s a playground insult, a weak attempt at deflecting blame, 50s bully dialogue, and honestly – the best piece of advice I’ve ever received, although I’m sure that Rebecca from Ms. Murphy’s class didn’t intend it to be. 

Yes, nobody cares about you! Now, before you close the tab, hear me out. Here’s a golden rule for you: If you, given that you’re an average and not extremely judgemental person, wouldn’t give a flying flapjack about something, other people won’t give a flying flapjack about that something either. Yeah, I noticed the spinach stuck in your teeth. Yeah, I’m going to point it out. No, I really don’t think you’re a close relative of Bigfoot. Maybe you don’t believe that. Maybe I sound mean. Maybe everyone in your life sounds mean – fine, let’s do some multiple choice. 

You see your friend and they have a big, fat, pimple on their nose. Do you a) laugh and throw tomatoes, b) ignore it, or c) casually point it out? If you said A, please stop trying to be edgy, you’re not funny. If you said B or C, congrats, you’re a normal person! And since everyone else will say B or C, congrats, you’re surrounded by normal people!

Now, why am I talking about this? What does this have to do with the art of not caring? The purpose of my little soapbox stunt here is, not caring is simple-on paper. It’s easy to tell someone to ignore the haters, hey, it’s easy for ME to tell you to ignore the haters. To tell you the truth, I can’t even ignore the haters. An offhand comment about my sweater looking funky will send me into a mental breakdown. The point here is, how do we stop caring? Before, let’s look into WHY we even care in the first place. 

Okay, I’m going to assume that none of you reading this are small children. Little kids are funny. We’re afraid to raise our hands to ask a question, while they ask the most out-of-pocket, stupidest questions known to man-without raising their hands, of course. We feel embarrassed when people see at a bad moment, and ugly photos have served as potent blackmail. For a three year old, though? They’ll gladly lick up their baby gloop and smile proudly as they chew on a TV cable. So, I guess that begs the question: what changed? Why does growing up make us less daring? Less willing to take a chance, to take the risk? Well, to start: some risks are stupid. There’s a reason why we’re not at risk for sticking our fingers into electrical sockets anymore-we start thinking, basically. And, of course, there’s the fact that society doesn’t really appreciate when we act out of line. People don’t want to be around someone who causes drama and disruption, and so our peers start to push us away. 

So, why do we care about what other people think? I’ll sum up every tear-stained pillow and sleepless night in two reasonss: On one hand, it’s because we want to fit in and be accepted. We want to have people who understand us, and so we care about what others think. On the other hand, it’s because we care about our own self-image and want to be seen in a positive light. We want people to think that we’re cool, interesting, and attractive. And so, we start to care too much about what other people think. 

So, how do we stop caring so much? The answer is simple: Stop worrying about what people think and start focusing on yourself. Don’t get me wrong, it’s important to be aware of other people’s opinions, but it’s more important to stay true to yourself. Don’t let other people’s opinions dictate your actions. Stop obsessing over social media and start living your life. Don’t be afraid to take risks, even if it means you might fail. And, most importantly, be kind to yourself. Don’t be too hard on yourself when you make mistakes. Nobody’s perfect, so don’t expect yourself to be. Listen, if I met you in real life, maybe I wouldn’t like you. But that’s okay, because I’m just one out of 8 billion people. Why waste your life thinking about strangers’ opinions when you could focus on the people that actually like you? It’s your life, not anyone else’s. 

September 26, 2023 4:39 pm

Dear Vivian,

I am astonished by your amazing story, “No one cares” because it really shows how no one really cares about you or what you do. You express yourself how there are so many people out there in the world who care about what others think about them and really why it happens more often.

A sentence that stood out to me is,” Stop obsessing over social media and start living your life. Don’t be afraid to take risks, even if it means you might fail.” I think this is eye-opening because you are basically saying that we should stop focusing on social media and not try opening businesses.

Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you right next, because this was an amazing eye-opening story as you read it you realize that nobody really cares what you do and should just do you. I also like how you included that we as people should take risks and not give a single care in the world.

Fabian Olvera

Lucy Adamari
September 21, 2023 6:09 am

Dear Vivian:

I am astonished by your essay, “No one cares” because it explains how people in this world are more obsessed with themselves and care more about themselves to care about you. You explain why people care so much about others’ opinions and the cause of it. 

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Stop worrying about what people think and start focusing on yourself.” I think this is empowering because you are right, some people are so worried about what others think of them they aren’t really themselves as a person. All they are is a copy of another or the ideal perfect from social media or other people around you. People should just be themselves and give zero crap about what others think and have others control you and just be yourself. 

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this is very insightful and I liked reading your essay and knowing maybe you opened the eyes to many individuals going through the same thing. I can’t wait to see what you write in the future.

Lucy Rodriguez

September 21, 2023 5:26 am

Dear, Vivian 

I am amazed by your essay, “No one Cares!” because it truly shows how no one really cares about who you are and what you do. You express how everyone has their own thoughts about themselves and how those thoughts are what causes us to be self-conscious. In addition to this you talk about how we need to start being true to ourselves and stop thinking everyone doesn’t like us for who we are. That we simply need to be kind to ourselves.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is at the end when you state, “It’s your life, not anyone else’s.” I think this is important for people to hear because it brings the realization that it isn’t anyone else’s life, it’s mine and I shouldn’t waste it on caring about what others think and say about me. 

I wanna thank you for your writing and look forward to seeing what you write next. This is because you add humor to your writing and get your point across while doing so. I hope you continue doing this as it makes your reading fun to read. 

Antonia Mariscal

September 15, 2023 4:16 pm

Dear Vivian:
I am excited about your essay “No One Cares,” because the title says that you do not care about anything and just to care about yourself, not just yourself.Also how I could relate to the title because am the same things and i shouldn’t care about anything or anyone.
One sentence that stood out to me is “ Stop worrying about what people think and start focusing on yourself” because we might feel the same way. Another thing is that ou could relate to this because you shouldn’t care about anything just worry about yourself and that’s all. This was like a shock because a lot of people don’t care about others they just care about themselves.
Another sentence that stood out to me is “. Why waste your life thinking about strangers’ opinions when you could focus on the people that actually like you” because you could relate to this about worrying about yourself. Also, you could help anyone but not that much because I feel like they are gonna want you to do everything for them and you need to worry about yourself and no one else.
Thanks for your writing, I look forward to seeing what you write next because your essay is really good and I want to see more in the future. This essay could help people worry about themselves and not others.

-Amber Rosas

4
0
()