don't give up. You are not alone, you matter signage on metal fence

Today, more and more people are facing the problem of depression and the pressure of work or school. Suicides are mainly caused by deficiencies in problem solving in extreme life situations. “I think this topic is very important and should be discussed with people who do not believe that it is something that adolescents want to draw attention to. . . “Because unfortunately it was. In my case, my parents thought it was an act to want their attention but it was not like that, I really felt bad, so I decided to help.

And sometimes people feel very empty, emotionally and even physically, many times.

Sometimes I wonder..

What is depression for you? Perhaps something to attract attention is what some people think, but no, it is not something serious that must be treated in time, depression is something that young people live today, and not young people of all ages, adults, children … Now in these times we should like ourselves, sometimes we know other people more than ourselves, we live by what people will say about our actions, but we never say how I will feel doing it … even sometimes our Mind can be the worst enemy in these cases.

But remember that you are not alone, fortunately there are people who can help you treat the depression that you are going through, do not shut up, talk, do not be afraid, think about yourself.

people think that it is better to end their life and thus their problems would end, but it is not like that, even our own family can make us fall into a depression with their hasty comments that they make us.

Parents have ever sat down to talk with their children and ask them how they are feeling, sometimes that simple word can change everything.

! No more suicides! 

image_pdfimage_printPrint this page.

February 24, 2021 10:26 pm

Dear Leslie, I am very thankful that you decided to write a post like this. Suicide is not talked about as much as it should be. I am glad you wrote this post because it gives me comfort that I am not the only one who acknowledges suicides. I love that you informed the reader that they are not alone. With this post alone I am sure you saved plenty of lives. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is ” Perhaps something to attract attention is what some people think”. This sentence stands out because some people who do not fully understand depression might believe this is true which causes those diagnosed with depression to lack bringing up their emotions. Thank you for your writing I look forward to seeing what you write next.

October 23, 2020 7:48 am

Hi Leslie, I found your post really compelling. We have an incredibly high teen suicide rates here in Utah, and that’s commonly attributed to the LDS church that’s dominant here. Whether or not that’s the case is irrelevant right now (though it’s an incredibly compelling argument). The article is trying to spread awareness about mental illness to the public, and I found it fitting because it’s currently Invisible Illness week. It’s an incredibly important topic, it’s up to all of us to make sure we’re there for each other.

October 22, 2020 7:59 am

Dear Leslie,

Your post “No More Suicides!” was very meaningful and relatable. In many countries, suicide is a major problem, however, it is often hidden by other issues and news. I think suicide is one of the topics that should be noticed in the world more frequently. This would help students and adults in depression get support from friends, a therapist, etc.

This was a very relatable post for me because where I am living right now (South Korea), currently is in 10th place of suicidal rates in the world. Suicide happens so frequently here, especially among young teenagers. Common students in South Korea often receive a lot of pressure from their parents in studying. Most (but not all) parents want their children to succeed academically, and they think sending them to after school academies will make their child learn ahead of time and improve their grades. A typical high school student in public schools could stay until ten o’clock (at night) in school or academies. When they arrive home, they would have to study for tests and complete work, and consequently puts a lot of stress. This happens not only in South Korea, but also in many other countries. A student could commit suicide due to stress at school, problems in learning a topic, struggling mentally at school, and much more.

I like how you mentioned for students to speak up if they are facing a problem or depression. I agree to this statement because through communicating his/her problems with a close friend, family, or any adults, they could help them overcome the problems. Many people often doubt themselves and hesitate when trying to tell someone their mental difficulties, but at the end, it would benefit them. Therefore, it is very essential for these students or anyone who is suffering mentally or physically to share their feelings.

Just to continue on your idea, I think one of the ways to reduce and end depression (and the feeling of wanting to committing suicide) for students is to do what you enjoy and what interests you instead of things that people force you to. Succeeding in the future is important, however, I think that being happy in life is even more important. You cannot be successful if you do not enjoy your life.

Your article has made me think more deeply about suicide in the world and possible causes and solutions to suicide.
Thank you for your writing! 😀

– Eunice

Dear Leslie, I first want to thank you for posting this article. I totally agree with you, suicide is one of the major problems in the world, however, people are not paying much attention to it. As you mentioned, people mostly think it is an action to draw attention. But that’s is not true at all. I also felt like I was having mental and emotional issues which could lead to suicide for some people and I am sure that wasn’t and isn’t not only me. I felt depressed and I couldn’t stop thinking about negative things. But now I know that it is important to talk to people about it like you said. I also found out that we can feel better when you rest and I also think it is critical to know that you are not alone.

NO MORE SUICIDE.

-Robert Cho-

Leslie, this is a conversation that is so important and I’m glad that you wrote about it. Teen suicide is sadly something that is common. It is not hard to find someone that is struggling and needs help, yet everyone is too scared to talk about it because everyone thinks they are alone. I really liked how you made it clear that these people are not alone, and that they should not have to go through this all by themselves. Thank you for writing a post about something so important. I hope you continue to write on this topic and educate others on the importance of mental health.
– Olivia Vandersteen

Sam

Hello Leslie,
Teenage mental health is something of a minefield these days… its hard to know exactly what to say, when to say it, and who to say it to. It can be easy to question if you’re doing more harm than good. But I think your article walks that tightrope; not only addressing the issue of teen suicide, but providing ideas and resources for its address. I’m glad to know the conversation continues, as it is not always an easy one to have. But I think that at the end of the day, we are all called to be there for one another and provide support for our brothers and sisters in times of need, and I am glad to see you acting on that calling.
Best, Sam

October 20, 2020 11:30 am

Dear Leslie, I found your post, “No More Suicides!” very important to our world. Right now, at this time, someone could be going through severe depression and possibly thinking of ending their life. It is absolutely heartbreaking to see so many young people go through situations where they think about suicide. Even the smallest word, smallest act, smallest thought, can change someone’s life drastically. So, check up on your close friends, family, coffee barista, whoever it is, it can change their lives in an instant.
I particularly like when you said, “But remember that you are not alone, fortunately there are people who can help you treat the depression that you are going through, do not shut up, talk, do not be afraid, think about yourself.” It is very important for people to talk about their problems and feelings, not to bottle everything up and one day let it all out in the worst way possible…suicide. People have to know that they aren’t alone, we are there for them, we will listen to their story about how they found their favorite candy at the store. We will stay up all night together venting all of our feelings. We will listen…never forget that.

October 19, 2020 6:47 am

Dear Leslie, I found your post, “No More Suicides” devastating knowing that more and more people face the problem of depression which causes suicide. It is frustrating and saddening knowing that people go through some problems and don’t get the help they need. At times, they can find it difficult receiving help and also finding people that will listen to their problems. Depression can be categorized differently for each and every person, but although depression has different categories, the emotional distraught it brings to the person can bring them down. I personally went through depression in my life, and it was just emotionally tough to deal with things. Going out for help was pointless and I just felt that I wasn’t enough for people and their times. I then started to reconsider things and started to open up. Those who have gone through depression or are going through it right now, should open up to the most trustworthy person you know or you can always call the The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

One line that stood out from your post was that, “But remember that you are not alone, fortunately there are people who can help you treat the depression that you are going through, do not shut up, talk, do not be afraid, think about yourself.” This sentence should be understood by everyone and should be taken into consideration. It is true, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! There will always be someone there for you no matter how much you deny them, the help and the companionship are always going to be there for someone battling depression.

Thank you for writing this, I would like for you to write more about serious topics that could really affect and positively change one’s’s life.

-Juan

October 17, 2020 3:30 am

Dear Leslie,
I found your post “No More Suicides!” emotional because I have experienced the loss of a close friend due to depression. I agree with you that this is a serious topic that needs to be discussed more frequently. I think it’s disappointing that some people don’t take depression seriously and think that people could just get over it like nothing. Depression can emotionally and physically bring down a person due to many reasons, and for the most part, people don’t realize you can be going through it which is why you should never judge anyone because you don’t understand what’s going on with their life. I would also encourage parents like you mentioned to check up on your children because the simplest “How was your day?” can make them feel much better and supported.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was, “People think that it is better to end their life and thus their problems would end, but it is not like that,” This sentence right here needs to be heard by everyone. Please don’t turn to what you may think is the quickest route to end your suffering, there will always be someone there willing to hear you out, but to do so you must speak up. We want to hear from you, you matter, everyone does!

Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I would like to continue to hear more about serious issues that need to be addressed more often.

-Yamile

*If you are ever thinking about suicide PLEASE CALL 1-800-273-8255 (The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline)*

Help on Youth Voices
17
0
()