Recently, I read No Crystal Stair, by Vuanda Micheaux Nelson. I enjoyed reading this book. I liked this book because of its take on racism.

The protagonist is Lewis. His story is set from 1939 to 1975. The significance of the French setting is that Little Burgundy was a city full of jazz and entertainment. 

Lewis faces certain forces and pressures. Lewis is challenged by racism on a daily basis. He meets these forces and pressures by deciding to focus on making money. You can see this early in the book on page 1939.

The tension rises when Lewis thinks of retiring. This might leave a reader feeling nervous. The reader might feel nervous because of the fact that the bookstore is a good business to profit from and retiring might change that. 

The book climaxes when we get introduced to the fact that Lewis has cancer . “When I found out about the cancer and started replaying my life, I got to wondering. So, I said, ‘Lord, what do you think? Did I do all right?’ I got my answer a week later.”

The falling action ultimately resolves the conflict. In the end, Lewis died a peaceful death. It’s a person v society type of conflict that’s driving this story. This is because the book is written in multiple perspectives. This emphasizes the struggles in the mid 1900s. For example, sexism, racism, and the civil right movement.

0
()