Inquiry Question: How does Donald Trump think race should be incorporated in American history and education?

Summary of first article by NYT: This NYT article describes Trump’s call to dismantle school curriculum that teaches the 1619 Project, which was done by the NYT magazine to tell American history through the experiences of black people. 

Summary of second article by New York Post: This article also describes Trump’s criticism against the 1619 Project and his call to promote “patriotic education.” It talked about his attacks on “the left” for warping American history using critical race theory, which analyzes how race and systems influence the country as opposed to individual actions and interactions.

I learned that Trump is against most (if not all) education that teaches that America has racist problems. He said “We embrace the vision of Martin Luther King where children are not judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. The left is attempting to destroy that beautiful vision and divide Americans by race in the service of political power.”

“America’s founding set off the unstoppable chain of events that… built the most fair, equal and prosperous nation in human history.”

1. Maxwell 1 week ago

Great essay Henry. You really did a good job on portraying Trump’s opinion on the 1619 Project and helped me understand the situation better.

2. Natalia 2 weeks ago

I find this topic to be fascinating! Based on this post it seems you are still gathering information. What are your thoughts so far?

Thank you for sharing this with us!