Voted printed papers on white surface

In the article, “States Attempt New Voting Rights Laws” (McGraw Hill) I learned that to be eligible to vote, you must first become a registered voter. Along with this, depending on the state, you must either register yourself several weeks or days before an election, turn up at polls with your ID, or vote from home. In Texas, they have set voting restrictions such as eliminating drive-thru voting and overnight early voting hours. Apart from this, limitations were also set on who could and could not assist voters along with establishing ID requirements when voting by mail. Some say this helps prevent voter fraud but others say that it would make it harder for African Americans and Latino Americans to vote because of the voting methods. In North Carolina, they require a photo ID to vote. Although this could help prevent voter fraud, it also discriminates against voters of color because they are less likely to have a photo ID. Meanwhile, in Washington, D.C., Congress is trying to pass a new law that would give the federal government increased control over elections.

Do you agree or disagree sith these new voting laws? Would these new laws affect your eligibility to vote?
2
Please leave a feedback on thisx

I think that with the implementation of these new voting laws, voting fraud would be able to be prevented, but at the same time, I also believe that they should inform and assist voters who may not be aware of these new requirements. The main reason why someone doesn’t vote especially when it comes to those of color is that they don’t know how or where to register and vote. For this reason, the state needs to have some sort of control over the elections as they are the ones who are more familiar with who vote and who don’t.

This is an incredibly well written article. I believe that the emphasis on voter fraud can be a bit tough to analyze. https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud This document has found that the proven instances of voter fraud numbered in the thousands and of which most were arrested. Voter fraud realistically when looking at the statistics is a inconsequential number in the grand scheme of the election. Ultimately I find that any type of law that would attempt to put anything other than basic drivers liscense identification as a preface to voting to be incredibly dangerous and a slippery slope into voter suppression.

I really enjoyed reading this comment and argument. I liked how you analyzed both sides to this argument and gave your solution to this problem. This issue is an important aspect of voting and I agree with your opinions on this problem. It’s important to making the process thorough but not impossible for those Americans who already have trouble voting. I hope to read more by you in the future.

I definitely feel as though there is underlying racial bias perhaps on a lot of these new voting laws. Statistics showing that African American and Latinx people do not have proper identification prove that there could be bias and unjust treatment of these people. Alexis, this is a great summation of a very important topic. Well done.

Claire Poche
Claire Poche

Yes, I completely think that these laws are important to protect those who are voting and their rights. I also agree with the point you made in your writing about how because they didn’t clearly announce these new rules, people could be confused and end up not voting, which would be bad. Our government is based on voting, we need to exercise our rights when given.

October 19, 2021 3:18 am

Dear Alexis:

I am impressed by you post, “New State Voting Laws,” because of the information you provided in order for us to be able to vote. It is also helpful that you included when we have to vote and where we can vote.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Some say this helps prevent voter fraud but others say that it would make it harder for African Americans and Latino Americans to vote because of the voting methods.” I think that this is significant because establishing something new can be good but also bad.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because of your opinions that you made in order for me to agree to it. I was able to learn more about what your writing was about after I read the second paragraph.

Adrian Garcia

5
0
()