In the article ” Your Hair, Your Right?” I learned that many black people especially woman students and employees are being targeted for their hairstyles. In Louisiana an 11 year old girl was sent home from school all because of hairstyle that was in braids. This has become a big issue in many states. In California and New York have passed laws that treat the targeting of people based on their hair or hairstyle as racial discrimination. However many other states are still working on passing these laws as they become a bigger issue. I believe any student or employee or whatever the case is should always have the freedom of doing their hair however they want because at the end of the day its on their head not yours. They should pass these laws all over the world because its a way of expression and exploring ourselves. Stereotyping hair has been going on since the 1960’s. This used to be a way making a political statement on someone. However now we have those civil rights.

Help on Youth Voices
0
()

Connect with