silver MacBook beside space gray iPhone 6 and clear drinking glass on brown wooden top

Due to the Coronavirus, e-learning is an effective way to reduce the spread of the virus, while providing students with the opportunity to continue their education. However, e-learning can negatively impact students’ emotional and physical health. Students are affected emotionally through lack of sleep and increased screen time. Many colleges have shut down due to the virus causing students to remote to class at home. Many students experience a time change and have to change their sleep schedule to attend class on time. When student sacrifice their sleep, it negatively impacts learning outcomes and causes deficits in the emotional and impulse region of the brain (Balram). In addition, the increase in screen time causes students to be locked to their electronic devices. Jennifer Katzenstien, director of psychology and neuropsychology at the Hopkins All Children’s Hospital, found that “increased screen time usage, especially for non-academic activities, has found to be linked with increases in depression, anxiety, and perceived attention problems” (Balram).

The mental health of a student is closely related to their physical health. When students experience increased anxiety and depression, their immune system is weakened and they become more vulnerable to the coronavirus or the flu (Schroeder). Furthermore, students’ physical health is being affected due to lack of physical activity. Due to increased screen time and an additional workload, students are attached to their electronic devices. This causes students to remain stationary for multiple hours, which leads to students feeling extremely sluggish and lazy (Balram). Physical activity provides many health benefits linked to an increase in brain activity. However, since students are less active, they take less breaks from school as well as lose the opportunity to benefit the brain and release

Balram, Amrita. “How Online Learning Can Affect Student Health.” Letter, 20 Apr. 2020, www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2020/04/how-online-learning-can-affect-student-health

Schroeder , Ray. “Wellness and Mental Health in 2020 Online Learning.” Inside Higher Ed, 1 Oct. 2020, www.insidehighered.com/digital-learning/blogs/online-trending-now/wellness-and-mental-health-2020-online-learning.

image_pdfimage_printPrint this page.

Help on Youth Voices
0
()