In the article, “Navajo Nation Museum Spreads LAnguage Through Movies”(Mcgraw Hill) I learned that the Navajo language is rapidly disappearing. In order to help fight this the Navajo Nation Museum has dubbed popular American films into Navajo. Some of these films included Star Wars, Finding Nemo, and A Fistfull of Dollars. This was all to the request of elders in the Navajo community.

I think this is something good for the Navajo community because it can help their younger generations help bring back the language since it is slowly disappearing. Many indigenous languages have disappeared because people have forgot to speak them so I think it’s a good thing that they’re finding ways to help this.

Do you think they should do this for other indigenous languages?

February 3, 2022 8:04 pm

Dear Yarelli:

I am really intrigued by your post “Navajo Language in Movies” because I had no clue the Navajo language was being used in movies. This is an important topic since many known movies have been dubbed over.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “Many indigenous languages have disappeared because people have forgot to speak them so I think it’s a good thing that they’re finding ways to help this.” This is informational yet saddening since these amazing and historic languages are slowly being forgotten.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it is so interesting to see someone talk about this topic. It’s not talked about often and is very easily forgotten.

Adalberto Vega

1
0
()