When I was little, I would sit out on my balcony with my feet up on the railing at sunset,and I’d take pictures with my phone. My sister gave me her Polaroid camera because she didn’t use it much. I’d keep all the photos thinking that someday I’d make a collage of them, or learn how to even do that. Then one day a few weeks before my birthday, my mom took me to Best Buy to buy me a real camera, but she didn’t tell me until we got there. And i was excited, but i realized that i wouldn’t use it much because i like the easy but old cameras, where i just had to take the picture and its prints or i just take it somewhere to print it out from my phone. The camera i chose looked pretty old school but the way it worked didn’t really appeal to my eye, but i decided to take it as a gift from my mom and try it out. I didn’t like it, i found it too complicated and kind of took the fun from taking pictures. I wished i could of found interest in it but i didn’t, so my sister took it so she can use it and my mom felt pretty upset but not alot, only because the camera was supposed to be for me and i basically didn’t like/ want it. I was still grateful for the fact that she thought about buying me the camera because she saw i was interested in photography.

Whenever i’m on my balcony i feel kind of relaxed and peaceful because i’m away from everything yet i still have a sense of feeling like i am outside. I used to draw on the walls of it with chalk when i couldn’t go to the park to draw on the concrete, I’d play with the snow that would fall onto the balcony, and i would sometimes read or eat there as well. Now i don’t at all but i still go out there to breath for a while and just enjoy my view of the city.

July 30, 2020 8:52 pm

That is a very beautiful picture. For some reason it reminds me of the Chicago lakeshore at night, the part where you are crossing over the Chicago river and turn to the city and can catch a glimpse at all the buildings. It seems like a really calm and cozy place to live it has inspired me to move to a similar place one day

Britney
May 30, 2019 8:37 pm

The view of this is beautiful and seems like such a peaceful place to be at, you were very lucky to be able to enjoy this view.

Ethan
May 29, 2019 6:29 pm

Dear Julissa,

It’s funny how in “My view of the East River” you decided to choose the old-fashioned camera besides the advanced one because it took all the fun out of it, I also find it nice on how even though you didn’t like the camera, you accepted it anyway as a gift from your mom. Even though that sort of backfired when you gave it to your sister and your mother got mad.

One line that stands out for me is, “I was still grateful for the fact that she thought about buying me the camera because she saw i was interested in photography.” because it’s good that you even realized that your mom was thinking about you at that age(guessing very young because you said “when i was little”).
Another line that stands out for me is “Whenever i’m on my balcony i feel kind of relaxed and peaceful because i’m away from everything yet i still have a sense of feeling like i am outside.” because I can relate, whenever I’m stressed out there’s a calm quiet place in central park that I go to.
Thanks for writing this and I look forward to see your other writing pieces!

Ethan
May 29, 2019 5:22 pm

It’s funny how you decided to choose the old-fashioned camera besides the advanced one because it took all the fun out of it, I also find it nice on how even though you didn’t like the camera, you accepted it anyway as a gift from your mom. Even though that sort of backfired when you gave it to your sister and your mother got mad.

Lucky
May 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Dear Julissa:

I am amazed by the image I can picture in your poem, “My View Of the East River,” because of the sentence when I was little, I would sit out on my balcony with my feet up on the railing at sunset.

One line that stands out for me is, “ Whenever i’m on my balcony I feel kind of relaxed and peaceful because i’m away from everything yet I still have a sense of feeling like I am outside.” I think this line is relate-able because whenever I am trying to relax I will go out to my balcony to relax and get my mind right.
Another line that stands out for me is, ” I was still grateful for the fact that she thought about buying me the camera because she saw I was interested in photography.” I think this line is amazing because it shows how much you love taking pictures and how grateful you are .

Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next. Your poem makes me picture what you are doing and makes me picture the beautiful view.

Ethan
May 20, 2019 4:02 pm

That must’ve been one of the best times to take those photos, that balcony is a big part of your life huh?

6
0
()