Discover how a single trip to Germany changed my life forever!

It was my first time in Europe and my first time in Germany. I was 13, about to turn 14, and I was so excited to finally meet my aunt and cousins. One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Germany was to meet them, as I had never seen them before. I was nervous about traveling alone, but my cousin had always bragged about the pasta in Europe, so I had some expectations.

Once I arrived in Germany, I immediately felt homesick. Even though my aunt was family, we weren’t close. However, after two days, I started to feel more comfortable. My aunt and cousins made me feel welcome, and I no longer felt homesick.

Coming from the Bronx, Germany was ten times cleaner. I was so shocked; walking around, I didn’t see any garbage bags or dog poop. The buses were way cleaner than the MTA buses. It was spotless.

We went to a food place and, oh my goodness, the food was delightful! I had a burger and fries – I know that sounds so basic, but the burger had so many toppings like avocado, tomatoes, mayo, ketchup, and this sauce which made the burger taste so much better.

I went to an art gallery event somewhere in Berlin. I had learned so much about the history through the pictures. For example, Berlin is ten times the size of Paris. Germany is also Europe’s largest economy, but still the cleanest.

I was staying in Berlin, and the houses there are quite different from the buildings in New York. German houses are much smaller. One thing that was a culture shock to me was how the living room and cooking area were closed off and very small. Outside of the houses, the architecture looks very old, as if the past and present are intermingling.

I find Berlin to be such a calm city. I didn’t witness any fights or gang activities, which was surprising considering they were living in a low-income town.

Traveling to other countries has been an eye-opener for me. Not only do you learn so much about different cultures, you get to experience them. One of the culture shocks I encountered was seeing how people greet each other. In Germany, people greet each other by kissing their cheeks. This was strange to me, as in America we usually greet each other with a hug.

Everyone should experience traveling, as it allows you to gain knowledge about how other people live and experience different cultures. Traveling challenges us to not only adapt to, but also explore new surroundings. I was able to learn about Germany just by being there, without taking a class. It was a real-life education.

All of these experiences made Germany feel like a second home to me and changed my life forever.

The trip to Germany was a life-changing event for me. Through exploration and learning about a different culture, I was able to understand more about the world around us, and it broadened my view of life. It allowed me to expand my cultural knowledge and adjust to new surroundings, which provided me with a comfortable and educational experience. What experiences have changed your life?

September 15, 2023 2:09 am

Dear Aisatou:
I am attentive to your post,”Exploring Germany Opens My Eyes: A Life-Changing Journey!”, because it gives really good detail of how beautiful Germany is. It educates people on things to expect when visiting Germany. It also gives people an option when traveling.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “The trip to Germany was a life-changing event for me.” I think this is exciting because who knows Germany can be so life changing. They have amazing food, great public services, it can be so different from what you usually experience.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I want to see if this has encouraged you to travel anywhere else. I would like you to continue to visit amazing places and give your honest opinion about the environment and everything.

1
0
()