In the first four lines of the first stanza, Auden introduces the poem by repeating it’s title and goes on to use a metaphor that rhymes which can spark a lot of different ideas for a lot of people. For me, I thought the stanza meant that a once crowded block is now a empty, quiet field.

As I walked out one evening,
Walking down Bristol Street,
The crowds upon the pavement
Were fields of harvest wheat.

It seems though that one of my classmates, Oliver thinks differently,  he writes, “I disagree with your thought that the streets are empty because if the place is filled with wheat, people could be described as that wheat that the place is full of”

A question about life that this poem brought up for me is, does life go by fast or slow, depending on what you’re occupied by? This poem answers that question for me by saying how, even with the “flower of the ages, And the first love of the world,” you should not let time deceive you  because you can’t conquer time. I feel that between lines 15-22 W.H Auden puts us through two perspectives of two different people. One that says how and why the years shall run like rabbits, and the other correcting what the first one said. An idea of mine that this poem has been encouraged but not taken advantage of is, How to live your life to the fullest?

Tyler
May 30, 2019 5:46 pm

Dear Ethan
I am skeptical about your poem, “As i walked out one evening,” because i think that it’s a conflicting poem. Like the two main themes are complete opposites.
One line that stands out for me is, “Walking down Bristol Street,” I think this line is interesting because… i think that it’s a very abrupt line
Another line that stands out for me is, “The crowds upon the pavement” I think this line is intriguing because… they give no real backstory on what this may be about.
Your poem reminds me of a poem that I once read. The two poems had some similarities. They both had abrupt lines and they also jumped straight to the point just like this poem.
Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you post next.

2
0
()